Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r6realtor

Unplugging the 02 sensor?

35 posts in this topic

This may have been discussed multiple times before, but is it true that if you unplug the o2 sensor you will make the fuel ratio richer? these guys are claiming that by unplugging it there getting more torque and better response and that honda has it plugged in for emission purposes only??

http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com/forums/showthread.php?297284-Honda-CRF250L/page16

I think the 02 Sensor is only really active under light throttle anyway, like when your just cruising. When you get above probably 70-80% throttle it just goes to the programed fuel map. Its the "open loop/closed loop" thing, just like in a fuel injected car with 02 sensor.

It would be worth trying out, ride the bike both ways and see if you can honestly tell a difference, not just imagine one in your head.

2 people like this

I may try it once I get the bike, I just wondered if anyone else had tried it and if there was a noticeable difference, because from what it sounds like its coming pretty lean from the factory.

no I don't even have the bike yet, should be here friday.

hey there realtor

Here is a quote from the BDSB site discussing the stage1 kit:

don't see anything?? is it just my computer?

I think if you really want to correct the bikes stock lean condition a fuel programer would be the way to go. Then you can also add more fuel for exhaust and intake mods. I really cant imagine the O2 sensor would make that much difference, but Im like you, I cant know till I actually have the bike haha. If anything unplugging the O2 would just make it smoother and easier to tune the EJK because the bike wouldnt be going in and out of open/closed loop mode when you get on and off the throttle hard.

seems the paste doesn't show up when I post.

suffice to say they feel it pulls better with it disconnected and to try it on 2 runs . 1 with it connected and 1 without

I'll tell ya, I found the fuel programmer did make a difference. I didn't try unplugging the o2 censor but I read about a few people trying it. For the $200 I would just go with the fuel programmer. It's the right way to add fuel to the bike. It livens up quite a bit and if you go with a pipe down the road you will be all set.

2 people like this

well i don't plan to do any exhaust possibly a programmer, but would like to keep this one mainly stock because I will mainly be in the woods with it, I have done all the programmer/airbox/exhaust/emission removal to my other bike and she is a beast..a loud beast and i think this time around im gonna stay mainly stock for the woods (minus sprockets) however if I can get a bit more fuel to it stock it may help a little

fender2_zps709a4ed1.jpg

I'll tell ya, I found the fuel programmer did make a difference. I didn't try unplugging the o2 censor but I read about a few people trying it. For the $200 I would just go with the fuel programmer. It's the right way to add fuel to the bike. It livens up quite a bit and if you go with a pipe down the road you will be all set.

agreed but if I can unplug the o2 sensor for free!! Im not expecting the exact same results as a programmer but if the bike is running lean as hell from the factory and I don't plan to exhaust it, this maybe the ticket if its true??

1 person likes this

Let's see if this shows up, it's the whole page link where it is discussed

http://bestdualsport...onda-crf-250-l/

According to them the bike does pull harder, Im definitely going to try it. THANK YOU for the link.

"Go ahead now and unplug the O2 sensor from the wiring harness. The sensor is at the exhaust port on the left hand side and the clip to unplug is on the backside of the from frame rail. You can ride the same section of trail with the O2 sensor connected and disconnected and I think you'll agree the bike pulls harder with it disconnected."

Edited by r6realtor

Nice bike there realtor.

I agree with foxbrook on the programmer, I've done the air box mod and programmer and it has made quite a difference. I just ordered the exhaust this evening and am looking forward to additional power. having said that, it has plenty of power for trail riding. Oh yes, I have done 13/42 sprockets.

1 person likes this

Thank you, I love the bike but as you can see with the tires not exactly ideal for offroad however it will do it!

a buddy of mine just did the 13/43 combo definitely woke the bike up for sure!

Edited by r6realtor

Well the 02 sensor is definitely worth a try, I dont think it will hurt anything. All you have to lose if a few MPG if it does indeed feed the bike more fuel, but if your trail riding MPG isnt always a huge concern lol.

Like I said thou, I think the bike already cuts the 02 out when you go full throttle anyway, so maybe its most noticeable at partial throttle?

We really need someone with a wide band O2 that can tune the bike and see what difference all these little things really make.

agreed, that would be sweet to see if there truly is a difference, instead of someone just saying oh yeah huge difference but in reality no difference at all.

tro1086 so are you saying that the o2 sensor usually only effects low end??? I guess I really have no idea about whole open/closed loop deal, but i am assuming that it technically would add fuel being that bestdualsportguys are recommending unplugging, the reason for more snap is more fuel i would imagine???