Wr is burning fuses, BAJA DS kit installed

Burned out my blue fuse for the third time (the 10 Amp), What the heck is going on? :banghead:

Bike is street legal and has the DS kit.

I'm pretty bad with electrics. ?

Here is a pic of Erin Bates for at least checking out my thread...

erin-bates-06.jpg

also in other news, the RC High Fatbar Minis that I ordered are absolutely amazing on the WR450. fits well, no adapters needed, fits between the trees incredibly.

Edited by Motomike1
  • Like 1

also in other news, the RC High Fatbar Minis that I ordered are absolutely amazing on the WR450. fits well, no adapters needed, fits between the trees incredibly.

Got any pics?

What kind of hand guards are you running?

Did you get the Renthal Twinwall RC Mini/85cc bars?

I am considering getting the same bars but want to make sure my hand guards will fit and not hit my head front number plate because the bars are a couple inches shorter.

Edited by gcally

Got any pics?

What kind of hand guards are you running?

Did you get the Renthal Twinwall RC Mini/85cc bars?

I am considering getting the same bars but want to make sure my hand guards will fit and not hit my head front number plate because the bars are a couple inches shorter.

I have the Western Powersports handguards, . You also need the 1 1/8 adapter to fit the stock '09 WR (Pro Tapers) and Renthal Fatbar 1-1/8" Oversized RC Mini/85cc Handlebars which I have now. I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow. It's a tight fit.

Which DS kit do you have?

It should be the Baja Designs DS kit.

I have the Western Powersports handguards, . You also need the 1 1/8 adapter to fit the stock '09 WR (Pro Tapers) and Renthal Fatbar 1-1/8" Oversized RC Mini/85cc Handlebars which I have now. I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow. It's a tight fit.

It should be the Baja Designs DS kit.

But they have 2 different ones now. Do you have the one with the smaller handlebar cluster? Go look at BD's website and see if your cluster looks like the newer or older one.

I have the newer one and I seem to be having the same issue. Been through a couple of fuses now.

if the hi low switch gets held in between positions it can try and turn both on, blowing the fuse, might check that?

How do you check it? Hold it in that position and try to get the fuse to blow I guess?

But they have 2 different ones now. Do you have the one with the smaller handlebar cluster? Go look at BD's website and see if your cluster looks like the newer or older one.

I have the newer one and I seem to be having the same issue. Been through a couple of fuses now.

I only see one DS kit that is made for 07-11 bike and another one for 2012 on. Mine is a 2009 WR. I'm running LED rear turn signals and LED strip turn signals on the handguards.

• TT Sponsor

hopefully this helps a little. @gcally

DSC04335_zps06fa10ec.jpgDSC04338_zps6df5079c.jpgDSC04340_zps53356138.jpgDSC04343_zpse5e49a0b.jpgDSC04346_zps2112ce98.jpg

That is the older generation handlebar switch, but we should still be able to solve the fuse problem. Feel free to give us a call and talk to our tech support department.

called baja designs, they suspect it's a short somewhere, which is probably correct.

I noticed some of the LED light (turnsignal) is stripped on the handguard, you can almost see it in my pic above. The blinker will work with a new fuse but i think it still has an exposed portion.

could this cause the short?

If the wires can touch together or the handlebars it is most likely the problem. Check elsewhere also for cut wires.

I think that is what was happening with mine. The wires coming off of my back brake brembo banjo bolt were frayed and probably periodically touching. I have taped them up and will see if that has solved the problem.

My rear brake light acutator (near the exhaust pipe) has never actually been plugged in. It's disconnected at the brake lever(only for the rear), not the front, so only th front turns the rear brake light on.

I fixed the turn signals, replaced the fuse, and it worked for 2 rides each about 5 minutes long, then the third ride, it went out upon starting.

My rear brake light acutator (near the exhaust pipe) has never actually been plugged in. It's disconnected at the brake lever(only for the rear), not the front, so only th front turns the rear brake light on.

I fixed the turn signals, replaced the fuse, and it worked for 2 rides each about 5 minutes long, then the third ride, it went out upon starting.

Make sure that your brake light wires are not grounding to the frame/bolts. These can burn from the exhaust or get cut by tree branches etc.

I would suggest doing a full check of all wires.

This may be the Rectifier/regulator so that would be the next thing to look at once you are absolutely sure there is no shorted wires.