2014 yz450f Anyone got one yet?

WELL! BHD 451. Sorry, didn't realize you were so sensitive and didn't mean to start a pissing match, but,since you asked, i ride a highly modded 2011 yz450f. Yup thats right. It has different tires, new chain and sprockets, and since all the stock 450's come sprung for a 160-180 lb rider and i'm 6'2 210, i went with factory connection springs to carry my fat ass around. Oh ya, I have a non oem graphics kit as well and red wheel spacers. Have a nice ride.

Mate, that must have cost you a fortune. You a factory rider ?

I don't have one, but I saw one at a dealership here in Nor Cal. It was right next to a 13 450. From the left side it looks very clean and also smaller. The side plates and shrouds make the bike look a lot cleaner from all angles, and appear to be thinner when viewed from the top. I liked the wrap around pipe, and hope to be able to purchase one for my 10. The radiator shroud air intake is more compact and seams to be sealed better to suppress the intake noise like the tests have said. Seat gas cap cover was kinda funky, but was smooth, just not seamless. Might get loose and catch on pants after hours of use, then again it may not. New shock looked good, and may fit the older bikes with an addition of the wrap around pipe. The right side looks cluttered with the close spars, but it allows a lot of muffler to be tucked in and forward. Frame is a lot different when you can compare bikes side by side. The top shock mount is different in its position where it is welded, shorter and more compact. Although from a distance the frame looks the same, it is different. Swingarm looks the same as does the linkage system, but could be longer and possibly have different ratios. Overall it was a nice looking bike(it was in blue), and I look forward to riding my buddies when he gets his.

My local shop has a white and a blue one. Bike looks awesome, much more compact than the 10 - 13 and the shrouds are quite a bit slimmer, I would say as slim or slimmer than other bikes. The gas cap cover is very cool and solid with the seat cover texture on the top. Surprised by the seat height, it's a tall bike but the egros feel great which is perfect for my 6' - 4" height. The clutch had a very smooth light pull to it which felt great and the rubber mount bar clamps seem very cool too. Just might have to buy one ........

Edited by Troutman

PIcked mine up yesterday. Took it out today and I love it motor is really strong and it handles great. My friend has a 2012 YZ450 and every time I rode it I felt like the front end skated around a lot on me but did not notice that at all today on the 2014. Also I think the air box noise is a lot quieter as the reviews have said also.

1001654_10152055907369852_533546178_n.jpg

Edited by Ryan598

My buddy got his about a week ago up here in Washington state from Experience Powersports. He says he loves it and that it is much better than his 10..

Post more pics!

PIcked mine up yesterday. Took it out today and I love it motor is really strong and it handles great. My friend has a 2012 YZ450 and every time I rode it I felt like the front end skated around a lot on me but did not notice that at all today on the 2014. Also I think the air box noise is a lot quieter as the reviews have said also.

1001654_10152055907369852_533546178_n.jpg

That's awesome! How was the break in time?

Just picked this up the other day for 7900 otd. Can't wait to ride it. I only got to ride it through the backyard a little bit but the throttle response is awesome. Never had an EFI bike so I can't wait...

IMG_20130706_173101_705.jpg

Ok people more pics and some video's!

I finally found one over in Sacramento and picked it up Friday. I can share a few things I noticed right away.

Suspension is super. I am 6'1" 210 bare and the suspension works perfect for me as delivered. I wanted to have it re-sprung

before I picked it up but they would have had to order springs. I'm glad I tried it first.

I have a 06' YZ 250 and a 2012 wr 450 that after a diet weighs 255. It has been re sprung with a 6.0 in the rear and a .49 up front. I can still bottom it out on my home track pretty easy buts its way better than stock.

With the new 14 yz I have not hit bottom yet. I have a step up jump that I carry about 60 feet (landing is even with top of takeoff) and I do not bottom. I also have been dropping off a 6 foot ledge in 3rd gear and not hitting bottom. Travel is really smooth all through the stroke. The bike is very naturally finding the balance point while pulling a wheelie... It wants to be balanced.... its kind of weird and makes me look really good but its the bike. Looking in the manual it appears that the US version of the YZ450 is standard with .49 front and 5.9 rear springs. I might be looking at that wrong though.

How it feels..... It really feels lighter and more nimble than my 250. Both on the ground and in the air the bike feels much lighter than it is. Clutch and gears are really smooth, in fact the shifting feels very short and quick. The bike turns really well for me. I am riding on Northern Nevada "dirt" so its going to be slick, but this bikes front end tracks and holds a line much better than my other two. I have not dropped tire pressure yet, still at 15 so I expect it to be better once I drop it down a bit. The MX51 tires that came on it are really soft. Much softer than any other mx 51 I have had. I had the leading edge of every knob on the rear tire worn down after one hour. Traction is great but I can see the rear will not last long.

Motor makes plenty of power, strong all the way through. I have to be careful on this bike because I end up going way faster than I think I am and in a much shorter distance. Still running all 0's on the map so I have room to improve here as well.

No overheating issues and I have spend an hour or so just riding around in 1st-2nd gear in the canyons at home. The WR kicks it but for that stuff as it should.

Taking off early to get it out on a bigger track to see how it reacts to rolling sand whoops and bigger jumps later today.

Want to add one thing about the air box. I can barely hear it while idling around in 1st, other than that I do not hear any annoying intake noise.

Edited by Itsbroken

I finally found one over in Sacramento and picked it up Friday. I can share a few things I noticed right away.

Suspension is super. I am 6'1" 210 bare and the suspension works perfect for me as delivered. I wanted to have it re-sprung

before I picked it up but they would have had to order springs. I'm glad I tried it first.

I have a 06' YZ 250 and a 2012 wr 450 that after a diet weighs 255. It has been re sprung with a 6.0 in the rear and a .49 up front. I can still bottom it out on my home track pretty easy buts its way better than stock.

With the new 14 yz I have not hit bottom yet. I have a step up jump that I carry about 60 feet (landing is even with top of takeoff) and I do not bottom. I also have been dropping off a 6 foot ledge in 3rd gear and not hitting bottom. Travel is really smooth all through the stroke. The bike is very naturally finding the balance point while pulling a wheelie... It wants to be balanced.... its kind of weird and makes me look really good but its the bike. Looking in the manual it appears that the US version of the YZ450 is standard with .49 front and 5.9 rear springs. I might be looking at that wrong though.

How it feels..... It really feels lighter and more nimble than my 250. Both on the ground and in the air the bike feels much lighter than it is. Clutch and gears are really smooth, in fact the shifting feels very short and quick. The bike turns really well for me. I am riding on Northern Nevada "dirt" so its going to be slick, but this bikes front end tracks and holds a line much better than my other two. I have not dropped tire pressure yet, still at 15 so I expect it to be better once I drop it down a bit. The MX51 tires that came on it are really soft. Much softer than any other mx 51 I have had. I had the leading edge of every knob on the rear tire worn down after one hour. Traction is great but I can see the rear will not last long.

Motor makes plenty of power, strong all the way through. I have to be careful on this bike because I end up going way faster than I think I am and in a much shorter distance. Still running all 0's on the map so I have room to improve here as well.

No overheating issues and I have spend an hour or so just riding around in 1st-2nd gear in the canyons at home. The WR kicks it but for that stuff as it should.

Taking off early to get it out on a bigger track to see how it reacts to rolling sand whoops and bigger jumps later today.

Want to add one thing about the air box. I can barely hear it while idling around in 1st, other than that I do not hear any annoying intake noise.

Was I the only one that really loved the intake noise???

Anyways... My 08 is getting real dated and worn. Really lookn to upgrade within the next 2 years ( get the 2014 when the 2015's come out) so I was wondering what the top and bottom end power is like on this bike? Im either lug my bike from point a to b or have her hammered down fult tilt and almost never stay in the mid for long ;) Also how much riding can you get out of a tank of gas?

I love the airbox noise on my 2012 too. I love the way it sounds when the throttle is dumped and you make that bike talk. I dont get why the air box gets such a bad rap. Its easy to get to the air filter. I am really curious to see how this new bike does. I want to see some YZs on the podium!

Never understood the complaints of the airbox noise. Once I identified the sound for what it was when I got my 12 I forgot about it. Took about 30 seconds. Liked the filter setup on the old bikes better though.

I finally got to take mine out. I loved it. The suspension is awesome like always, It was a little stiff but I have some new springs coming to fix that. The power is amazing. Its got a very smooth powerband all the way through and never signs off. Out of the box I believe it runs a little lean so I got a power tuner on order to try to fix that. But coming off an 08 yz 450 I am very happy with the decision. It turns way better than my 08 did.

took mine out for a ride last night and loved it. first thing i noticed was the width of the shrouds. havnt really romped on the gas yet as im still breaking it in but from what i did this thing has plenty of tourque. when i first got on the bike it felt wierd but once i moved the position of my bars up to the front the bike felt great. unfortunetly i broke 2 spokes on the rear wheel to end the ride ( dropped bike on a stump ) but will replace them tonight an rip again!!! updates to come. BRAAAPPPP!!!!!

took mine out for a ride last night and loved it. first thing i noticed was the width of the shrouds. havnt really romped on the gas yet as im still breaking it in but from what i did this thing has plenty of tourque. when i first got on the bike it felt wierd but once i moved the position of my bars up to the front the bike felt great. unfortunetly i broke 2 spokes on the rear wheel to end the ride ( dropped bike on a stump ) but will replace them tonight an rip again!!! updates to come. BRAAAPPPP!!!!!

Breakin her in hard is the way to go!

Lookin sick. I love the 14s in white.

Any more updates and/or opinions with more time on the bikes?

I waited a long time for Yamaha to update the 450 because I hated the feel of the 10 thru 13s.  During those years I tried riding every bike the competition has to offer but I thought each had their own faults which kept me from buying.  I took a chance and bought a new 2014 YZ based on the first ride write-ups.  The new bike did not disappoint.  I was immediately comfortable and put in six motos before it started raining. 

In all I wasn't that impressed with the motor.  Nothing wrong with it just not outstanding.  I think it is running lean since it was giving a little backfire when I chopped the throttle on a jump at the end of a long straight away.  I'm hoping to get time with a power tuner this weekend and will be trying out the Preston map which at least 'reads' a lot richer.  A little bit of tuning may make this the perfect bike but I really think it will need a new pipe to get the hit I'm looking for.  The new Kawasaki is the benchmark for me now in the motor department but I think this bike has potential to be at least as good if not better.

I am also not yet satisfied with the handling. The track I broke it in on was a little wet and soft with lots of ruts in the jump faces and most of the turns were a little slick.  This made it hard to enjoy the ride and tended to exaggerate the problem areas in the bikes handling.   Yes, it jumps great but turns win races.  The bike felt like it wanted me to just throw it into the turns taking any inside line and I loved that feel, but... it was a trick.  It would let me aggressively charge into the turns and felt planted but as I got it healed over the front end would wash out.  Like I said the track was a little slick and that exaggerated the bad.  I actually felt like it was mostly the front tire at fault and that the stiffer sidewall of the 51AF was the wrong thing to have on that track.  I know from my past YZ's how critical the front tire choice is to getting the front end to bite so I'll be changing tires before I start to worry that there is a real handling problem.

The suspension was really good and I forced myself not to try to adjust anything (other than the shock preload) before I get it completely broken in.  I'm sure it will be even better after a few more rides and some very slight tuning on the forks.  A couple of clicks softer on the compression may help it stick in the turns too.  I'll let you know.

All in all I was really happy with the first day on my new ride and from the feel of it I think that when I get it set up for my riding style it may well be turn out to be the best bike I've ridden.  The biggest problem I had was that my friends would cut the track to get in front of me where my new ride would catch some muddy roost.  None of them were able to keep the new bike behind them so I was pretty happy, even if a little muddy. 

--KT--

Edited by MXKyle

Yes, i have ridden the new 2014 yz, its not mine its my dads, he was the first on the VA to have one, throttle response is wicked, the only bad thing about it was the exhaust, the silencer is way big, but he is going to drop the cash for an fmf.  He went from riding a 01 yz 250 2 stroke to the new 14, neither of us have alot of experience to compare it with anything