Engine and carb breather air box mod (For soggy days)

Thought id post these picks of the mod I have done to prevent dirt and water entering engine and carb as I have had some water getting in on deep water crossings with the bike cutting out or bad running with water entering carb via breather pipes :/ now it can breath under water!! well nearly ? haven't had a problem yet, also ran a pipe with tap for oil trap so I can drain with what little oil comes out, and with it still able to breath from air box, works a treat! ?

IMG_0102.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0120.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0105.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0066.JPG

Used original engine breather pipe it had all the right bends to feed back through the frame over the carb and up to air box.

Edited by Tankengine
  • Like 1

Nice job. Just be aware that you have created a potential problem when falling off on a hill - I know, I have done it too! So if your bike is lying on its side with the seat facing down the hill, the carb overflows will now drain neatly into the airbox and fill it with fuel. Needless to say the bike will not start until you empty the airbox!

Hey thanks for the thought, i see what you mean but I have only put the carb breather pipes into the air box not the over flow pipes I thought the top two pipes breath hence letting in water as I found out when crossing deep water there was evidence of water in these pipes but not in the lower over flow pipes as they will not let water in as they do not breath ? Or have I got it all wrong;/ any thoughts welcome ? would really like to get the right answer for this.

Thanks. Tom

Ok maybe I will put the two bottom pipes to the air box too, to be sure .

I'd rather drain the air box than run the risk of water/dirt entering the carb/engine;) the chances of my bike being near upside down is minimal compared to crossing the rivers in my area. I only ride light trails/green lanes/byways it's all very flat terrain in Essex uk where I'm from ?

Ok maybe I will put the two bottom pipes to the air box too, to be sure .

I'd rather drain the air box than run the risk of water/dirt entering the carb/engine;) the chances of my bike being near upside down is minimal compared to crossing the rivers in my area. I only ride light trails/green lanes/byways it's all very flat terrain in Essex uk where I'm from ?

What you have done is no problem at all, as long as you remember to check the airbox if the bike doesn't start after it has been on its side.