HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stealth13

Which chain and sprockets?

17 posts in this topic

Looking for a full chain/sprocket set for my 09 450. Been looking on eBay first and see a bunch of bike master and RT. anyone have any experience with these or can anyone recommend another set?

I have never had an issue with the RMATV stuff. I'm good friends with the guys there and was one of the original testers for a lot of their in house stuff. I can't remember where these parts are made but I have never had an issue with the quality. I use only steel sprockets as the aluminum stuff is, in IMHO, a waste of time on a trail bike. I usually get around 2500 trail miles (not street) before the sprockets start to show some wear. I always replace chain and sprockets together so I'm sure I am throwing aways chains before they are completely worn.

I have the steel sprockets and the gold x-ring chain because in order to go really fast you must have some bling :prof:

Steel sprockets are a must IMO and why waste your time with anything less than an o/x-ring chain.

How many miles do you get out of it? Good quality ?

I use the Primary Drive kits shown in that link on my WRs in the Philippines... lots of water, rain, mud, dirt... they hold up well. Just finished a 1200 mile ride and not really much noticeable wear. For the price it is definitely decent stuff.

I also go for the "gold" version that another poster mentioned... looks good on the bikes! :ride:

Get the primary drive kit! I have the aluminum sprocket and gold x ring chain. Using maxima chain wax before every ride im at about 4000km on it and chain and sprockets are still good (gold is rubbed off chain) Youl save alot of money with this kit and its just as good if not better than renthal.

I'm a big fan of the did vx2 chain, very reasonably priced at $75 online. I use this on all my bikes street/ race/ dirt without a problem. I actually use the 520 pitch did vx2 with a press on master link on a nitrous r1 making over 210 rear wheel horsepower , well over 150 1/4 mile passes without a problem, and very little stretch. Basically the same exact chain u use for the wr/yz models. Use any steel sprockets u want, the primary drives are a good deal for the $

I have the primary drive kit now. It seems to be a 520 chain? Why is this chain so much thicker than every other bike in the shop? Will this cause any issues?

Also it came with a rivet style master link so I have to find a c clip style one now

I have the primary drive kit now. It seems to be a 520 chain? Why is this chain so much thicker than every other bike in the shop? Will this cause any issues?

Also it came with a rivet style master link so I have to find a c clip style one now

what style chain did you get?

2012 WR450. After 1 year, probably 100 hours, my stock counter sprocket is toast and the rear is well worn. Just ordered a Renthal 520 r3-2 O-ring with a renthal 13 counter and a GYTR 50 rear sprocket. Went with the GYTR because of the silver/blue color combo as well as the quality. Have another set of rims for DOT legals which I run a GYTR 49 for a little more top end on the street without having to change the chain length. Just bought a 3rd set of rims for Trelleborgs and will probably stay 13/50 as well. After my first snow ride I'll know more.