New to me 2012 WR450

Hi everyone. I bought a brand new 2012 WR450 this yesterday. I love it. It rides great! Did a few heat cycles on some logging roads this weekend. I have a few questions. I opted to have the dealer not install the GYTR comp ecu because of the price they wanted to install it. I got the screw out already and have read on here I can plug it with a screw thats 1/4 inch long. Does the comp ecu make a difference in power output by it self? I know it allows the use of the tuner which I will get later on when I get a pipe. If the comp ecu doesn't make a difference then I will just buy a shorter screw for the time being. What do you all recommend?

I also pulled the axles out only to find them dry. Zero grease. Pretty interesting they don't grease these things from the factory. Thanks for all the help.

The comp ECU on its own doesn't do much from stock, its the ability to reprogram it that makes it useful because the stock one is non-programmable.

How much were they going to charge you to install it?? I think it took me all of 5 minutes to swap out from the stock ECU, it was pretty easy.. My dealer removed the throttle stop, but didn't charge me any extra, just lumped it in with the PDI I guess.

Does anyone know for sure what the base map in the comp ECU is like compared to the stock ECU? If it is in fact the same, then no there is no benefit to it unless you're going to remap, which you'll need to do if you go with an aftermarket exhaust etc.

They were gonna charge me 500 bucks for everything. I just sourced a M5x7 bolt and plugged the hole. Holy cow this thing really runs now. Its got great power. Ill hold off on the comp ecu until I have money for the tuner. Until that it is plenty for me know.

Did you remove the airbox snorkel. Quick to take out. And get that tuner/ecu when you can. It unleashes the beast.

Also consider the GYTR/FMF pipe. Lots of $ but worth it as well.

The base map in the comp ECU is substantially different from stock ECU. That alone will wake up the bike but definitely remove snorkle and add pipe for best results.

Any need to tune it with just the snorkel removed? The bike seems to run a little lean as it is...

Any need to tune it with just the snorkel removed? The bike seems to run a little lean as it is...

I would suggest leave the snorkel in until you can mess with ECU. Snorkel removed with stock set up isn't even noticeable.

The base map in the comp ECU is substantially different from stock ECU. That alone will wake up the bike but definitely remove snorkle and add pipe for best results.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. When I bought my bike, the pipe and tuner was on back-order, but I installed the comp ECU anyway, and the bike definitely ran better than bone stock.