HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sch1sm

WR400/yz426 engine cobbling

4 posts in this topic

alright new guy here, dont tar and feather me if this is on here already i tried searching it out to no avail.

i currently have a 2000 y426 and have just aquired a WR400 bottom end, crank and tranny complete.

now my perfect world dream is to take the yz top end and the e-line stator off the bike and transfer it to the new WR lower. but is it really that easy? or do i have a multitude of things to change/update to make the change?

would i be better off ganking the gears out of the lower and stickign them in the existing one?

Either spin your exhaust cam on the WR one tooth or install a cam from a 05 yz450 to get the same benefit plus auto compression release and you will be 90% of what you are looking for

Either spin your exhaust cam on the WR one tooth or install a cam from a 05 yz450 to get the same benefit plus auto compression release and you will be 90% of what you are looking for

so i should be able to reuse the flywheel, cylinder and piston in the new lower?

i dont do heaps of engine work (hvac/boiler mechanic) but i do know a good amount about engines, that being said i dont want to get to a $500 hangup wit hit exploded all over the garage.

i thought i saw something about the con-rods being mismatched? if so do i have ot get a WR piston and see if the cylinder can be honed?

so i should be able to reuse the flywheel, cylinder and piston in the new lower?

i dont do heaps of engine work (hvac/boiler mechanic) but i do know a good amount about engines, that being said i dont want to get to a $500 hangup wit hit exploded all over the garage.

i thought i saw something about the con-rods being mismatched? if so do i have ot get a WR piston and see if the cylinder can be honed?

Correct...you need a 426 rod for a 426 piston in a 400 bottom end....the 426 small end and wrist pin is bigger.

You might be able to use a 450 piston with a 426 barrel on a stock 400 bottom end.