Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
V908

XR'S ONLY OIL TEMPERATURE DIPSTICK

15 posts in this topic

<font color="navy">Hey all! Does anyone have a XR's Only oil temperature dipstick on their XR400 (or even a later 250)? The picture shows one on a different bike (down on the engine instead of in the steering stem) and I'm curious how it fits/works on the 400/newer 250s. A picture would be great!

<font color="navy">That's what I figure. Just wondering what it looks like (since that's a fairly prominent position on the bike) and whether it works as advertised...

Easy to see, and easy to read. This picture is about 1 year old. I wouldn't want to ride without the stick!

fa81e436.jpg

You wouldnt ride without the stick? You keep giving me ammo like this and you dont expect me to take a shot! :)

What kind of temperature are you looking for? In other words, What is normal operating temp. Ryan

2003 XR250R

The package that it came in, AND team_burk say that 250-300 degrees is O.K. I raised my maximum allowable temperature to 270, but I don't like to go higher that 250. I tested the gauge in hot boiling water first, to see how acurate it was, and it is right on the money. it's a great tool especially when letting your bike warm up before taking off for a ride. :)

Corey also used to test the boiling water with his finger to see if it was hot enough to test his dipstick in! :)

I would be careful when using the dipstick in a dry sump bike. The idea of the dry sump is to cool the oil better than a wet sump. So by having it in the frame it may not be the exact temp your clutch, head, and anything else are experiencing. I would add about 10 degrees to the read out on the dipstick for accuracy.

Yes, having an oil temp dipstick will make you a believer in synthetic oil. I switched to AMSOIL in my XR250 and lost about 30 degrees of oil temp!

Cheers, Pete

Yes, having an oil temp dipstick will make you a believer in synthetic oil. I switched to AMSOIL in my XR250 and lost about 30 degrees of oil temp!

Cheers, Pete

<font color="navy">It's December and you're in BC, Canada... I wonder why your temp is down? :)