2011 shrouds/tank fitment

I traded my YZ250 for a 2011450 a couple months ago.

The radiators were a bit bent, despite some WC braces.

I just replaced the stock plastic with an Acerbis kit. The bolt hole where it connects to the tank/frame is now really off center on the left side, and somehow ok with a little bit of conviction on the right side.

I tried to put the OEM over the Acerbis but couldn't really tell if there's a bolt hole pattern difference

My buddy/mechanic had a good look and told me that looking from the top, the rads are not exhibting a significant bent toward the front of the bike. They were just slightly pushed inwards from the lateral side but nothing more than that.

I used all the adjustment I could between upper and lower shrouds pieces

I am just glad I didn't go with the one piece from Cycra as it woulds not have fit for sure

Have any of you experience the same thing?

It seeems to me that the design does not tolerate much deviation from each piece (shourd/tank/rad) to result in misaligment

How is this holding over time after numerous removal/install of the air filter?

I do not see what else could result in such gap

any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

How much space are we talking about? I have Scorpian rad guards on mine and after a few good dumps on both sides it takes some pressure to get the tank bolts to thread. Even when the bike was new and straight once I put the guards on it took some coaxing.

How much space are we talking about? I have Scorpian rad guards on mine and after a few good dumps on both sides it takes some pressure to get the tank bolts to thread. Even when the bike was new and straight once I put the guards on it took some coaxing.

Quite a bit of a gap actually. I'll take a pic.

I'd say almost twice the bolt diameter. I really have to pull the shroud to get the bolt into it.

But I also learned late last nighth that the previous owener lowered the subrame. I can tell now it was a clean job but it leads me to this:

This results in tilting the whole subframe form the top pivot mount, which will end up in sligltly pulling backwards the gas tank.

When I re-install the tank after an air filter change, I am at the very front end of the oblongs holes where they connect/rotate on the subframe

This could be the cause of misaligment

I need to double check my theory but this is just driving me nuts. I'm an Aerospace Eng and stuff needs to be straight and square (I know, bad things happen on a dirt bike)

Altering the subframe will not change the location of the threaded inserts that the tank and shroud bolt to right? So as long as the tank bolts up that should have no bearing on the shrouds not lining up. I don't think my shrouds line up any better than yours now that I think of it. My problem is mainly the guards I installed, I didn't like it either but there wasn't a simple fix.

Correct, altering the subframe won't change the tabs location on the main frame but the tank attachment is on the subframe and if it rotates downward due to the shorter side rails, it might pull the tank itself a bit backward, This could lead to the tank rubber mounts not lining up with the tabs

But I agree that it would not have anything to do about the relative position shrouds/tab

The tank mounts fit OK (not great) in front of the tabs, but the matching shrouds holes are off, especially on one side

I put a UFO restlyed kit on the 250 2 stroke I traded and everything went perfectly together with zero issues

I guess I'm a bit disapointed by this poor fit. I had a few KTMs in the past and even the wood screws that are so criticised would at least fit where they are supposed to.

i'll post a pic later so that you can tell me if it's standard gap for this bike or if the rads are really bent.

i also have had issue's bolting on Acerbis rad. shroud plastic's to my 2011 YZ450F,...to the point i didn't use them at all. i was really disappointed with them and the only thing that really fit from the kit was the front fender.

Interesting...

For me, the fork guards needed some "adjustment" as they were rubbing against the upper fork tubes. Front fender was (still) a bit twisted. All the other pieces but the shrouds went spot on

I wanted first the OEM parts and decals (it's a red/white) but the whole Acerbis kit was a much better deal at that time

And of course I installed new graphics before mounting the plastics. :bonk:

Next time: OEM.

II have a four stroke so it's well known they are expensive to operate?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...