HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THOR450

2014 YZ 450 shown Tuesday 6/11/13!

38 posts in this topic

Trans World Mortocross interview with Josh Grant says it will be unveiled at a dealer meeting in Las Vegas on Tuesday 6/11/13!!!

Lookin forward to finally seeing it...and hopefully the 250 too

Looks hopeless for an oversized tank...

They made the tank bigger from the '13 to the '14. It's now 2 gallons vs 1.6 gallons. Least there is that.

I'm super stoked for these bikes. I did a lot of work to my '13 to get it handle right. Seems like these have a lot of those changes. ie moving the engine forward and leaning back more for a more planted feel in mid corners. Stoked they kept the same forks, I'm not too excited about air forks at this point.

My '13 is dialed now, but I do want one of these. Maybe my wife will let me sell my '11 two stroke and have two 450s. It's been so tough riding both of them and switching back and forth. Over jumped big time on my two stroke the other day after getting off the four stroke.

Edited by migs647

A lot of comments I have seen elsewhere are primarily on the looks, personally, I think they look way cool. I am sure they will be a nice performance upgrade from the previous too.

Well now you know, I was sworn to secrecy .

Pretty cool aye :-)

1 person likes this

Whatever.

It's hard to say they moved the engine forward when the whole frame is new. According to Yamaha , what they actually did was move the steering head back 10mm. Somewhat the same effect (and moving the steering head 10mm would accomplish a great deal more then moving the engine alone 3 or 4 mm), but it still makes the comparison a bit harder to do when the whole thing is a complete revamp.

I don't think they're very concerned about the oversized tank thing, although I'm sure someone will come up with one. They most likely see the new WR as answering the needs of the off-road segment of the market, which it does very well. There will, of course, be those who want this one over the WR, even for that purpose.

The conversion to wet sump is interesting, too. I wonder what the oil capacity is.

Why would they go wet sump? To save a few pounds? Seems dry sump is the way to go in case the bike is left running upside down after a crash.

I got left behind trying to figure out the fuel tank /gas cap. Just looking at it makes me :rant::banghead::smashpc::foul::bonk::crazy::censored::moon::lame:

GYTR has a set up so it easily pops off with some force. Perhaps that will help you. Myself, I welcome a more open cockpit and the less likely hood of my gas cap coming off and drenching myself in gasoline. Have you had that happen during a race before? I didn't finish as I sprinted / stripped and poured a gallon of water on my junk.

Why would they go wet sump? To save a few pounds? Seems dry sump is the way to go in case the bike is left running upside down after a crash.

I think that you know my opinion is that dry sump systems are technically superior for a variety of reasons, although I have had a couple of criticisms of Yamaha 's approach to them on the YZ450. One reason they give on the web site is that removing the "tank" from the front of the engine makes the whole thing more compact so it will fit into a smaller space in the new frame.

Could have been a weight issue, or a manufacturing cost reduction. Maybe both. But more probably, it was a decision by the engineering team for technical reasons. Yamaha has historically shown a greater respect for the opinions of their engineers than their accountants when push comes right down to shove.

Seems dry sump is the way to go in case the bike is left running upside down after a crash.

That can't happen. The ECU will kill the ignition or fuel pump if the bike is on it's side or inverted and the engine is running.