04 - WR450 Mod. Questions

Have had my 04 WR450 for about a month, riden once with the exhaust uncorked and the air box snorkle out. It handles much better than my KTM 520 but seems under powered. My questions are: 1. Where is the gray wire? 2. What is a BK Mod? 3. Where to get a Zip-Ty fuel screw? I have ordered a JD jetting kit and plan on getting a new Q type exhaust system.

Please help (dumb newbee)

Dunlaped,

I too have a new WR450, and your right, from the factory this bike is very lame in the power dept! The biggest improvement will be for you to shorten the throttle stop screw, or order one for a YZ450. The stock WR stop will only allow about 5/8 throttle.

You can find most of the modifications at this website:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/wr450f/2003_04/runright.html

Including your grey wire cut that you asked about. The 04's had a jetting change from the 03's and were made richer, but not rich enough for all the mods. that you might do, so check your jetting when your finished. There is a beast in there, trust me! ?

DD

Dunlaped,

Take a look at this link: http://www.thumperfaq.com/ that discussed the WR250 (& 450) in great detail. It provides details on all of the mods, along with instructions.

I was in the same boat you are about a month ago, and have been able to apply all of the free mods outlined, using the instructions provided. This board has taught me more in 30 days that I learned "on the street" in years! ?

Dunlaped,

I too have a new WR450, and your right, from the factory this bike is very lame in the power dept! The biggest improvement will be for you to shorten the throttle stop screw, or order one for a YZ450. The stock WR stop will only allow about 5/8 throttle.

DD

Or you can just remove the screw and lop off the shiney part and put it back in (saves waiting and money) hey it's got CDI and a rev limiter...

Two words - YZ cam. If you want to get some serious power from the wr the cam will do it (along with jetting). I ride mostly desert and it rips.

That will be my final mod... I ride nasty tight trails (mostly deer trails)here in the northeast... When the leaves came down and it rained I had to put my stock silencer back in and was still doing accidental 180s, :D these things have some serious torque... what kinda difference do you feel with that cam? ?

All I do is race and ride desert... Leave the motor alone and get a pipe. This bike is not too slow for you guys........Sorry..... Everts won the ISDE on a WR450.. The cam won't make you any faster, YZ timing won't make you any faster.. Face it it's not a YZ450... The WR has the flywheel for a reason, smooth power.... ?

Again it depends on your style of riding. If you like a two-stroke type hit and acceleration then the YZ cam is the way to go. Given that your riding is mostly in technical terrain it might not be for you. While you may or may not be any faster with it I just think it's a lot more fun to ride. For me that's what it's all about. ?

Actually PDB I don't per say have a style, yet... this is my first bike...I've ridden my buddies YZ250 and it's sweet ultra responsive on the throttle but just no torque IMO the way I see it 2 strokes feel like Vtech engines snappy on WOT but just no low end torque where as my WR450 feels like a small block v8...

the cam sounds like a blast but I rarely have a strip staight and smooth enough to be able to rip through the first three WOT... But I do want to check out some dunes in the near future...

I did Dan, I insinuated it was too S L O W from the showroom floor! And it is! My modified TTR-250 would give it a run for the money! But if you make the free mods., the bike then has tons of usable horsepower! I have to admit I don't race deserts, or long open expansives of terrain. Mostly tight sandy woods, with just a small percentage of open spots and mud to keep it interesting. I can hold my own in these conditions... even at 51 years old. ?

• 2 weeks later...