HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobpara

Soften Clutch Pull

12 posts in this topic

I believe I posted something about softening the clutch pull on the WR450 a while back.

The consensus came back:

a) Get used to it

B) Get a Rekluse clutch

I found another way: I ordered qty (3) clutch springs from the same year 250 model. The springs are shorter than the 450 model, but the same diameter and everything else. The clutch has 6 springs, so I replaced 3 of them in a triad fashion (keeping 3 of the original ones), clutch pull is MUCH softer. I took it up a bunch of steep hills in low gear and I weigh 225.....no slipping.

Butter soft clutch for $15.00 plus shipping from Bike Bandit !!!

Works pissa!

Don't forget to get the clutch cover gasket too if you decide to try it!

Not sure if you even need to drain the oil to do it.

On the kickstand it leans the other way leaving the oil on the low-side.

Sounds like a cool idea, I see that you don't have any clutch slip issues with this mod, keep us poster through the season if the clutch starts slipping on you.

Bad idea!

Seems to me I remember an old trials guy doing that to his dirtbikes... Never tried it myself though.

Jon

Seems to me I remember an old trials guy doing that to his dirtbikes... Never tried it myself though.

Jon

How about you try it and let us know if it makes the clutch slip under strain (hill-climb).

I have small hands and have never been able to two-finger clutch. Did this mod last week. Used a shorty clutch lever and moved the perch further in-board. Rode on the weekend and for the first time ever I have an easy two-finger clutch bike. It makes riding so much easier being able to hang on at the same time as popping the clutch. I am actually using the clutch the way they talk about it in the books and training courses, instead of just shaking my head and wondering how people do that.

Good for you!

It worked greatfor me, I now cover the clutch with 1 finger and can feather the clutch with one finger as loong as i am not to tired. Log technical rides requires more fingers as i get tired.

My WR clutch is lighter than my sons YZ 125 and about the same as the YZ85