HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DunmireD001

Yz/ wr426 lighting/wiring question

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I just bought what I thought was a 2001 YZ426f (that's what the previous owner said it was.) and upon some investigation I ran the vin and it comes up as a WR426f. It also has a kickstand and at one time had an odometer. I'm not sure if it was a wr model, and someone changed the plastics on, and tucked away some old wiring, or if its a true yz and someone changed some parts around on

Either way I ordered a shop manual so I can chase down the wiring differences between the 2, and determine what it is currently wired as.

I am planning on converting it to a street legal supermoto and am prepared to put in a couple thousand for wheels tires, brakes, etc. I have already ordered the headlight, taillight, wiring harness, blinkers, horn, vapor digital speedo/ instrument cluster, and 12v battery. I know how route the wiring, and hook up all of the lighting that I just ordered to run off of the 12v battery as a constant power source (until we lose battery power),

I know this requires a wr stator and flywheel, which I will find out if I need to buy once the manual comes in, but my question is, what's the easiest and cheapest way to get a wr stator to effectively power the 12v battery? I see loads of threads starting from stator to the battery, which confuses me, but could anyone explain the steps to take from battery to stator? And why each step is needed? I am eager to learn this so that one day I can enlighten someone else. I'm not an idiot mechanically, but I know the battery is DC and the bike is AC, and it's hard for me to wrap my brain around how to turn some of that AC power to DC.

FYI I will be pulling about 40 watts of power during the day riding with just taillights and speedo, and about 120 during nights with headlight and all running. I hear the wr stator puts out about 130w peak, and about 30 @ idle. This is why I would prefer to power the lighting off of a battery so that at night my lights are constantly the same brightness, and during day riding, the battery will charge easily.

Keeping my fingers crossed that mine is a true wr, and I can start on this ASAP any ways to quickly tell the difference between a wr and a yz?

Ok, so I just bought what I thought was a 2001 YZ426f (that's what the previous owner said it was.) and upon some investigation I ran the vin and it comes up as a WR426f. It also has a kickstand and at one time had an odometer. I'm not sure if it was a wr model, and someone changed the plastics on, and tucked away some old wiring, or if its a true yz and someone changed some parts around on

Either way I ordered a shop manual so I can chase down the wiring differences between the 2, and determine what it is currently wired as.

I am planning on converting it to a street legal supermoto and am prepared to put in a couple thousand for wheels tires, brakes, etc. I have already ordered the headlight, taillight, wiring harness, blinkers, horn, vapor digital speedo/ instrument cluster, and 12v battery. I know how route the wiring, and hook up all of the lighting that I just ordered to run off of the 12v battery as a constant power source (until we lose battery power),

I know this requires a wr stator and flywheel, which I will find out if I need to buy once the manual comes in, but my question is, what's the easiest and cheapest way to get a wr stator to effectively power the 12v battery? I see loads of threads starting from stator to the battery, which confuses me, but could anyone explain the steps to take from battery to stator? And why each step is needed? I am eager to learn this so that one day I can enlighten someone else. I'm not an idiot mechanically, but I know the battery is DC and the bike is AC, and it's hard for me to wrap my brain around how to turn some of that AC power to DC.

FYI I will be pulling about 40 watts of power during the day riding with just taillights and speedo, and about 120 during nights with headlight and all running. I hear the wr stator puts out about 130w peak, and about 30 @ idle. This is why I would prefer to power the lighting off of a battery so that at night my lights are constantly the same brightness, and during day riding, the battery will charge easily.

Keeping my fingers crossed that mine is a true wr, and I can start on this ASAP any ways to quickly tell the difference between a wr and a yz?

To do this you will need to start from the stator coil/ AC magneto, go through a rectifier/regulator (to change the voltage from AC to DC and lower it), then through a 15Amp fuse (to safe-guard the rectifier) and to the battery.

Put your vin number into the Motoverse site CLICK HERE (it is temporarily down) to see what it was originally. My guess is it was a WR and they thought it would be cool if it looks like a YZ by butchering (same as mine).

Maybe someone can add a more detailed version?

Edited by Barra8

Do you know which wires to clip/ splice into? I know the stator powers all of the electric boxes/ tps sensors, and I assume those are AC powered. Is there a particular wire color I should look for? Or 2? And once I get them do I cut them? Or just splice into them?

Splice it into the yellow wire that comes out from the regulator/resistor. Then run this wire through a 15Amp fuse and to the positive battery terminal.

Enjoy!