Turning yz400f into supermoto

Hello guys, my name is Derek, I recently bought a 99 yz400f and ive decided to turn it into a supermoto. I have street tires on stock rims,but I wanted to upgrade my brakes and rims. Does anyone know a cheap alt ? I simply cannot afford to spend $1000 on a set of tires/rims. Ive heard that I can put R6 wheels on my bike. Does anyone know if that is true ? or does anyone have a set of supermoto rims they will sell for 500ish ?

Edited by Derekcj83

The cheapest way would be to get some super moto rims/hoops and lace them to your stock hubs with new spokes. Lacing is cake, the hardest part is truing (and that's not too hard). That should be under 500 with tires. Then upgrade the brakes.

Edited by bamfslap

Hello guys, my name is Derek, I recently bought a 99 yz400f and ive decided to turn it into a supermoto. I have street tires on stock rims,but I wanted to upgrade my brakes and rims. Does anyone know a cheap alt ? I simply cannot afford to spend $1000 on a set of tires/rims. Ive heard that I can put R6 wheels on my bike. Does anyone know if that is true ? or does anyone have a set of supermoto rims they will sell for 500ish ?

Head on over to supermotojuknie.com LOADS of info over there. I had a 99 WR400 that i supermoto'd I did a LOT of research on wheels and using other bikes wheels. Its not worth the hassle unless you can machine parts yourself or have someone who will do it for dirt cheap. They wheels guys are using is an SV-650, GS500, and a CRB F3 all require some work and engineering to get them to work. And look awesome when they are done. Like I said I did a lot of research and unless you have a lot of free time and machining ability or want to lace you own wheel it is nearly impossible to come in at $500. Your $200-250 just in tires, and almost that much in a 320mm front rotor. And you NEED the 320mm stock brakes will heat up and fade WAY to fast when you start pushing it at all. The brakes simply were not designed for the speeds and heat you see in a sumo.

Look through your garage and start craigslisting stuff and pick up a couple odd jobs and you have your money for the set-up with out any head ache of trying to piece it together and make it all work.

An R6 wheel is to wide I believe. They run a 180-190 rear tire if I am not mistaken. You'll want to run a 150 on a 4.5" wide rear wheel or a 160 on a 5" wheel. If you go with a 160 rear tire do not use an o-ring chain. They are a tiny bit wider and you'll get some chain slap against the tire. You should be able to use wheels from 99-07 WR/YZ 400/426/450's and I think even an 08 WR.

Your best bet is to find a used set of wheels on supermotojunkie You should be able to find a set for $500-600. I had Warp9's on mine and they were awesome. Ordered them through epicmotorsports. They have hands down the best price. They have a complete package wheels, tires, tubes, sprocket, brakes for $1069. It seriously can't be beat.

http://www.epicmotos...catalogId=-3060

You will need:

Wheels $500 used, $900 new (Warp9)

Tires $200

Tubes $30 (Or do your research on smj about making your rims tubeless)

320mm front rotor and adapter - should be able to find a deal on a used one, or about $250+ new

Rear sprocket based on your needs

So if you start piecing you kit together with new and used parts you MIGHT save $100 over Epics kit. And if you go with Epics kit you know it will all be correct, new and bolt right up. And you get to pick your wheel/hub colors to an extent for no charge. And if I am not mistaken they mount the tires and send them out all ready to go. So that saves you another $50 or so.

Edited by freeriders98

I've had good luck with used supermoto parts on eBay. I found a set of good excel 3,5 and 5" rims with black talon hubs for 400 and they had great tires. You simply get the correct excel wheel spacers and thy fit. Also found a 320 brake kit there too