Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfaceToAir

Plated!

5 posts in this topic

Did it. Bike now has dual registration in Cali.

For all those that tho k it's extra hard here, I am not sure why. Did lights horn. Got them signed off. Went to DMV - was nice. First inspector there failed me because she was looking for an emissions sticker with the vin num - which my 2008 doesn't have. So I packed it up and went to another DMV. She almost didn't pass me because I don't have an odometer ( have the stock trip meter ). But it politely told her that the research i did said the bike was exempt. She looked it up and thanked me- then handed me the signed inspection papers. I took my paper work inside and left with a plate.

It all depends on who you get at DMV- what they know and focus on. Just be polite and informed so you can help them through the process. Plating a dirt bike doesn't happen every day

Anyway, I am stoked!

Btw- big props to Doctorenduro.com for their help through the process. Great guys and very knowledgable about the process.

image.jpg

Edited by SurfaceToAir
3 people like this

It all depends on who you get at DMV- what they know and focus on.

Couldn't agree more as I just had that same problem. The first title office refused to change my title from "Off-Road" to "Motorcycle" without a highway-patrol inspection. Even the supervisor at the highway-patrol station got on the phone and told her that the inspection wasn't needed, but she still thought it had to be done. The supervisor suggested I try another title office. When I went to the other one it was an in-and-out experience with zero issues.

Same thing happened when I went next door to get my plate. They wouldn't sign off on my personal plate so I had to go to yet another location lol. Talk about an ordeal for something that should have been so simple.

Once they start doing emissions testing on bikes the options must narrow a lot. That thing has to come right from the factory with a valid VIN#. I'd imagine they'd scheme up a special digit in the VIN# for off-road only models.

I live in the republic of Massachusetts (Almost as bad as CA) but luckily they don't do emissions on any bikes.

Once they start doing emissions testing on bikes the options must narrow a lot. That thing has to come right from the factory with a valid VIN#. I'd imagine they'd scheme up a special digit in the VIN# for off-road only models.

I live in the republic of Massachusetts (Almost as bad as CA) but luckily they don't do emissions on any bikes.

Some bikes ( red sticker bikes I guess ) have a 3 or C in the 8th digit of the VIN. Like a YZ does, and is one red flag to the DMV that bike should not be plated.

Also, there is an emissions sticker on some bikes ( I guess street bikes?) that does have the VIN number printed on it. You can actually purchase this sticker new from the dealer, though I forget which bike it is.. And, hypothetically, a "hardened criminal" could print the VIN number onto it. I didn't need this sticker at the final office, though one DMV inspector was looking for it.

cheers-

Dustin

Some bikes ( red sticker bikes I guess ) have a 3 or C in the 8th digit of the VIN. Like a YZ does, and is one red flag to the DMV that bike should not be plated.

Also, there is an emissions sticker on some bikes ( I guess street bikes?) that does have the VIN number printed on it. You can actually purchase this sticker new from the dealer, though I forget which bike it is.. And, hypothetically, a "hardened criminal" could print the VIN number onto it. I didn't need this sticker at the final office, though one DMV inspector was looking for it.

cheers-

Dustin

That's what they are supposed to verify. Good job on finding someone not able to do there job correctly :thumbsup: Do it exactly as he did. If one DMV won't do it, pack up and go to another.