HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfaceToAir

Drc wire prob- turn signals

5 posts in this topic

Id post this to the tech forum, since its not bike specific, but didnt see a good place, and i know others are wiring their bikes here...

I've run into another issue with me DRC wire harness and the turn signals. I cannot get bot front and rear to illuminate at the same time. If they are both plugged in, then only the rear light illuminates. I can only get the front to illuminate if the rear is not plugged in. I am using their LED lights. I have bypasses the relay to take that out of the suspect list by jumping the two wires on the harness.

When the rear light is plugged in, I am only getting around 9volts to the front- likely the cause for the LED to not work. When only front ts plugged in I get 12 volts in front and rear.

Also, even when only the front light is plugged in, it's very dim. And though it gets 12 volts when nothing is plugged in,

I can get both light to illuminate at the same time, brightly, if I bypass the switch and put power directly to the (+) of one of the lights. Also, if there is a resistor inline the harness, it's after the relay, which gets 12-14 volts...

It seems like the rear lights are causing the problem. But can't figure out why. I suspect maybe something with resistors in the rear lights?..

I am. So confused! :)

Any ideas why the lights aren't working??

Thanks!

Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir

After the last post. I think I've isolated the prob to the rear lights. If I only run the front lights in the system by swapping in one of the front lights to the rear so that those same lights are used in the left or right side, then things work. Though they are dim still.

I am running these in front http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/drc-601-led-turn-signal/644-34040-00.aspx

And these in rear. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/drc-586-led-turn-signal/644-34047-00.aspx

The rear ones seem to cause the problem. Both of them, so it's to a prob with one bad LED signal....

Scratching my head, not exactly sure what to do....

Thanks- Dustin

Ok- we can all rest easy and have a beer. I tracked the prob down to a bad connection at the plug between the harness and signal switch. Once the connection there is jiggled to have a good contact, the lights beam brightly. The plug came on the harness, but still is a prob.. I'll rewire tomorrow. Grrr. Lots of time spent on this. I even picked up new signals from the delor to test with. At least I can return them to get $ 50.00 back...

-Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir

Id post this to the tech forum, since its not bike specific, but didnt see a good place, and i know others are wiring their bikes here...

I've run into another issue with me DRC wire harness and the turn signals. I cannot get bot front and rear to illuminate at the same time. If they are both plugged in, then only the rear light illuminates. I can only get the front to illuminate if the rear is not plugged in. I am using their LED lights. I have bypasses the relay to take that out of the suspect list by jumping the two wires on the harness.

When the rear light is plugged in, I am only getting around 9volts to the front- likely the cause for the LED to not work. When only front ts plugged in I get 12 volts in front and rear.

Also, even when only the front light is plugged in, it's very dim. And though it gets 12 volts when nothing is plugged in,

I can get both light to illuminate at the same time, brightly, if I bypass the switch and put power directly to the (+) of one of the lights. Also, if there is a resistor inline the harness, it's after the relay, which gets 12-14 volts...

It seems like the rear lights are causing the problem. But can't figure out why. I suspect maybe something with resistors in the rear lights?..

I am. So confused! :)

Any ideas why the lights aren't working??

Thanks!

Dustin

I am having a similar problem on my DRZ 400s. I understand the resistance issue causing the fast-blinking - I thought I was buying an all in one kit in the TT store but didn't read carefully, no big deal I have a new relay on the way. But the turn signals from the kit are super dim. I am skeptical that it is the connectors - I pulled the old ones which were working fine before and soldered them onto the new blinker wires. Will the new relay solve this? I can't figure how it would but before I go re-do the wiring to remove the old what seemed to be functional connectors does anyone have any insight? 

thanks 

PS sorry to dig up a years old thread but it describes my issue almost exactly even though it is a different bike

Edited by ctirpak

I don't really remember exactly, but I think it might have been the blinker/ relay that was the issue. I had to replace it at one point to get everything to work.

I am about to wire another bike up, and I won't be using the DRC kit. I had too many problems and had to modify it so much, I'll just build one from scratch.

good luck-

Dustin