HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boerboel

WR426 clutch cable replaced, clutch wont disengage

13 posts in this topic

After my old clutch cable severed and left me stranded, I replaced it with a motion pro cable today.

I got it in no problem and did my first adjustments. With the bike on and in neutral i pulled the clutch and dropped it into 1st, i slowly let the clutch out until it started to engage and everything seemed fine. I went on a short ride up to 3rd and came back down to 1st and no matter how hard I pulled the clutch the bike tried to crawl away in 1st.

I keep adjusting up at the handlebars and down by the motor, and I keep getting the same result. The bike wont roll with the clutch pulled while off even if warm. all test where done to a warm bike. Help!

Pull off your clutch cover, and look at the basket and plated.

You probably have a extremely notched basket, or, a broken plate, or a plate that has shifted.

thanks, ill go give that a shot. I can tip it over and remove the cover without losing the oil right?

I went back to mess with it before pulling the cover off and found that when it tries to crawl away, if i brake to a complete stop it will stop crawling and idle normally... Im running 10w40 Yamalube

Pretty sure this picture is useless, but I wasn't going to dig into the bike any further.

clutchcover_zpsea638629.jpg

I went back to mess with it before pulling the cover off and found that when it tries to crawl away, if i brake to a complete stop it will stop crawling and idle normally... Im running 10w40 Yamalube

Are you trying to test the clutch when it's cold, in your driveway?

The clutch has to get hot first................

I think you are looking for something that isn't there....and you are dealing with a 10+ year old set of plates and fibers...with plate probably being a mm or so warped.

I realize the clutch has to get hot first, which is was the bike was warmed up during anything i did to it.

What im looking for is the reason my clutch doesn't fully dis-engage until i force it to a complete stop via the brakes

I realize the clutch has to get hot first, which is was the bike was warmed up during anything i did to it.

What im looking for is the reason my clutch doesn't fully dis-engage until i force it to a complete stop via the brakes

I've never experienced a WR clutch to not drag a little bit.

I've never experienced a WR clutch to not drag a little bit.

Yeah, completely normal. Once it gets hot the problem should go away.

it doesnt go away while warm, but i fixed it today by buying a 2012 WR450... quite the expensive fix.

it doesnt go away while warm, but i fixed it today by buying a 2012 WR450... quite the expensive fix.

LOL, I like the way you solve problems.

The 426 had it's run. Time for the new blood.