HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moto_Madness

426 just got easier to kick?

8 posts in this topic

I noticed the kick on my 426 became signifigantly easier after a good ride on it. I've only ridden this bike twice. Initially it felt like it had solid compression, and was very hard to kick through. Now it is nice to kick through and starts first kick every time, idles fine.

Was wondering though if this is an indication it may be due for a top end?

Many thanks :)

W.W

Could be a valve sticking open, could be piston rings, I would start with checking your valve clearance and go from there. Might get lucky and its just some carbon holding a valve off its seat. Also check you decompression lever isn't hold the exhaust valve open.

I would buy a cylinder leakdown tester. this will tell you what is leak- intake valve- exhaust valve- piston rings...etc. It could just be time for a piston and rings. Start with the valve clearances though- work from easy to hard.

Has the auto decompression cam mod been done or does it still have the decomp lever on the bars?

Has the auto decompression cam mod been done or does it still have the decomp lever on the bars?

it still has the manual decomp lever on bars. I disconected it to test if it was affecting the compression. It wasn't. Have also been chewing a plug per ride. Can you recommmend a cylinder leak down tester?

thanks

My snap on was around $250. I have done a couple a day some days so Its justified, but motion pro offers a cheaper alternative. I'd do a simple compression test if I were you. Cheap and easy and then you can take it to a shop if need be.

it still has the manual decomp lever on bars.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have auto decompression. If you find a flyweight on the exhaust cam, it does. If not, it's as it was built.

Id recommend a name brand leakdown tester like a snap on, matco or mac. I have a snap on one that has worked great for years. But there are other good ones out there. The guy in the bay next to me has a OTC and has been using it for years without problems. If its for home use or recreational I'd recommend the OTC or similar name.