HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_Dave

4 Speed tranny~

3 posts in this topic

Guys,

As you know I have been having my share of issues with the Mighty XR650R. As of last week I fixed the Clutch issues I had. I took her out to the dunes to test and finally get some riding in. Well, the clutch works excellent...the transmission is another story....

Seems that dropping it in to first gear is no problem, let out the clutch and it is all good...now, shift to second and &%$^#%@$!)&^@...something is bad wrong! Hmmmm....what to do now? Well, I tried 3rd and it was fine, so was 4th and 5th! So, F-it! I got me a 4 speed...for now anyway, I am doing Dumont next weekend and then I will tear it down (AGAIN) and rebuild the tranny...Sheesh!

Any you fellers see any reason I can't operate without 2and gear?

Regards,

Dave

na, if its not making any funny noises in 3rd then i wouldnt worry. The pig doesnt mind being short shifted anyways so skipping a gear probably wont hurt its feelings too bad. I would change your oil and filter though, in case the remains of your second gear are in there? wouldnt want it packing up something else, JR

I believe that "second" gear in of itself is fine. The way the transmission works, second gear is a "window" gear and rides on a smooth bearing surface. Fourth (or fifth, I can't remember) is a "splined" gear and has 4 "dogs" that engage the windows on second gear locking second gear to the countershaft. I believe that these "dogs" are worn and will not engage second properly. I have always had second gear issues with this bike and often miss-shift it from first to second. I am thinking that the clutch issues I had last week, slamming into gear finally did it in. I am just unhappy that I have to split the cases (again!) just to change one gear. I am, however, not going to let it spoil my weekend to Dumont. I will just ride it as a 4 speed and rip it apart next week.

Dave