Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albertlui

Skid Plate suggestion on 12/13 WR450F

27 posts in this topic

GYTR, Devol , Moose, etc. Any comment on them? In terms of coverage, hardness, easy to install, drain oil without removal, etc. Thanks!

I've got the GYTR enduro(without the holes) bash plate and am very impressed! Does collect a lot of mud on it's upright face though...

I like the way the plastic ones wrap around and the coverage they give but put a Hyde on my last bike and wasn't to impressed (ended up cracking after a couple months). Was looking at the TM Designs and the coverage on theirs looks real good, probably going to give it a try. I'm thinking with the good reviews they get their quality of plastic is better????

I bought a couple of the Acerbis plastic skid plates for my 09 and it transfered right over to the 12. Good coverage (probably not as good as some of the full wrap aluminum ones), easy to remove and replace, quiet and doesn't collect mud once some open cell foam is in place. Eassiest to remove when changing oil but takes less than a minute to R&R.

Still running the stocker til I see a reason to change. Anyone 'tested' their stocker and found it lacking?

Thanks all, i like the GYTR too. I always climbing on rocks, and afraid the plastic skid plate not hard enough to protect the frame and water pump.

Is that means up to now, all new skid plates need to remove when draining oil? I have a B&B skid plate with my 06 WR, the shape like GYTR, and it has a hole at the bottom and can drain oil without remove it.

Still running the stocker til I see a reason to change. Anyone 'tested' their stocker and found it lacking?

I have run the stocker for a year now. Have given it a hard time over logs and it has held up fine. I do not ride in terrain with large rocks though.

My stock plastic one didn't make it through the first ride without cracking at the first sign of a rocky climb. I've torture tested the gytr and it holds up great. You can always drill a 1" hole under your drain plug but you still should take it off to get to the left side drain bolt.

I have run the Flatland one on my '07 since day 1. Was so impressed with how well it held up I just replaced it with a new one.

How about Works Connection and ACD Racing skid plates?

Works Connection is $125 at Rockymountainatv.com.  No thickness given.  Holes cut to drain oil without removing skid plate.  Connection allows frame flex. 

http://worksconnection.com/details.php?id=856&modyear=&return=--WR450F

WorksConnection3.jpg

WorksConnection2.jpg

wor_14_ful_con_ski_pla_wit_rim-146530000

WorksConnection1.jpg

ACD Racing is $110 on ebay. 4mm thick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-WR450F-2012-2013-SKID-PLATE-ENGINE-GUARD-BRAND-ACD-RACING-PARTS-/161173196652?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AWR450F&hash=item2586abcf6c#ht_2401wt_900

T2eC16hzgFIdgM3bsBSM3yIhlYQ60_57.jpg

KGrHqFrcFHClCZFMMBR6P0fUQg60_57.jpg

KGrHqFqMFHTDHv0lBR6P0jMs60_57.jpg

I just got one of these.

Would you still foam this one or use rubber between the mount? I have not received it yet do you this its going to be noisy? It does look nice though.

Edited by vlxjim

Looks like more chance for a rattle on the the ACD but that would be an easy fix.  Also looks like the Works Connection might have a little better protection for the water pump.  Nothing wrong with the ACD.  I actually like all the holes in the bottom.  Should make it easier to wash all the trash out.  I'd use foam on both.

I just got one of these.

Would you still foam this one or use rubber between the mount? I have not received it yet do you this its going to be noisy? It does look nice though.

It looks like ACD might make sump guards for Yamaha too - I bought a GTYR sump guard and it looks a lot like that ACD one!

I had to modify it though, as where i ride in the UK is all rock and was causing serious damage to the guard in standard form. The holes in the underside allowed it to bend in when faced with big impacts. I added four corner braces, more coverage up front and filled in a lot of the cut outs. Now it looks like this:

20130520_184516_zps7de031c2.jpg

20130821_171334_zps02525680.jpg

20130821_171422_zpsdd784b4f.jpg

20130821_181922_zpse93068d1.jpg

20130821_181948_zpsb414d024.jpg