Compare a DRZ400 to a WR450??

Hey all, been looking at getting a DRZ lately. I was looking at the DRZ400E, then converting it to dualsport. If I can find a good deal on used that is what I will do. If I go new however I was considering the WR450. How would you compare these bikes? I am 6' 250lbs (not fat). I currently am selling my 94 XR600R. I did like that bike and dont mind the size. I just want a newer one (like the elec start too) to DS. I have been riding for years, now I am mostly into back country exploring and trial riding. Nothing extreme anymore, those days are over. It is east coast riding, tight woods and so forth. How is the reliability of the WR450 been so far? I did a search, couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate any info here, thanks!!

I have had both. 2001 DRZ400E and presently own a 03 WR450. The bikes don't really compare. In my opinion, the Zuk was a great trail bike for a less aggressive trail rider, dependable and really a low cost ride. The 400 made pretty good horse power after minimal mods. as well. My problem was that I ocassionaly ride motocross and hare scrambles and the Zuk was a bit too heavy and lacked a suspension set up I could live with without major mods. I just needed a bit more aggressive off road bike, something short of a motocross setup with better suspension, yet trail savvy. The WR fit that bill for me. Sure, like all bikes the WR has some issues; woodruff key, starter, tall center of gravity, and not the lightest and most nimble choice out there. But I could give you several down sides to the Zuk as well. It's all in what you want and plan to do with the bike. In my opinion, the Zuk Z goes over the top on the XR, the WR over the top of the Zuk, KTM over the top of the WR and all a matter of preference. I actually am now thinking about a trade to a motocross 450 four stroke. Good luck with your' choice. ?

Thanks dirtstiff, that is the kind of info I am looking for. Funny you should mention the KTM, I was looking at the 625sxc as well. I think I will stay with either the WR or the DRZ though. Appreciate any other info, thanks

I rode a 2001 DRZ400S with all the "S" gear stripped off for a while before my 2003 WR450. Agreed: the bikes don't really compare. My opinion:

If the DRZ isn't 25 pounds heavier it at least feels like it. The WR has susbstantially more power, but both are adequate for most riders. The suspenion on the WR is far susperior (night and day) for off road. However, between the thin seat foam and the suspenion setup, the WR is not the bike to be on for a long street ride. The DRZ has a thick and wide seat... plush plush plush. Keeps your arse feeling nice after miles and miles.

If you're going to be 90% street with long rides I'd buy the DRZ. Otherwise, get the WR. The DRZ does not perform the same way in the dirt.

I currently ride a WR 400 (street legaled) and I ride a lot of tight trials. I would trade it in a heartbeat for a WR 250 just for the lighter more nimble feel. My budies wr 250

will beat a drzs and stay with an DRZE in a drag.

My budies wr 250

I would love to see 2 similar in weight riders, 1 on a wr250, and the other on a drz400e drag race. I would bet my house that the wr250 stock, would not stay with the drz400e stock. Hell, I'd even say a wr250 with the free mods wouldn't stay with a stock drz400e in a drag race.

I just traded my DRZ S for a WR450 with a Baja Designs kit.

It's funny, when I first got the DRZ it felt light and the suspension was fine. After a year went by it felt like a tank and the suspension we kind of terrible.

Then I drove my buddies CRF450F and whipped out the line of credit!

Now I have a new WR450F with a Baja kit on it.

I'm sure I will have small weight issues with it after a while, but I doubt I'll ever be better than this bike. I grew better off road than the DRZ.

I'm on the backside of 40 so the WR should be just right for a long time.

I'll tell you one thing, it's EXPENSIVE trading, so make the right choice for your riding needs.

The DRZ was great until things get serious with the MX bikes and WR's, then I usually ended up on my head.

Power and reliability were never an issue. Just weight.

Sorry Bamster, I didn't say my DRZ400E was a slow POS...Quite the contrary; I could have ridden the ass off of any stock 4 stroke 250 out there in a pure speed race, including Yamahas WR and YZF, hence my decision to buy a WR450FR. As a matter of fact; my CRF and YZ riding bud's often wondered if my DRZ was stock!!! ?

My budies wr 250

I would love to see 2 similar in weight riders, 1 on a wr250, and the other on a drz400e drag race. I would bet my house that the wr250 stock, would not stay with the drz400e stock. Hell, I'd even say a wr250 with the free mods wouldn't stay with a stock drz400e in a drag race.

You just lost the house. I'll take it in white please!

I have verified that an 01 WR250F (free mods and YZ muffler) and an 01 DRZ400E (the electric start one with the 39mm FCR carb) are pretty much neck and neck with two similar weight riders.

My budies wr 250

You just lost the house. I'll take it in white please!

I have verified that an 01 WR250F (free mods and YZ muffler) and an 01 DRZ400E (the electric start one with the 39mm FCR carb) are pretty much neck and neck with two similar weight riders.

That DRZ400E must have been a complete turd. The guy I mostly ride with rides an 02 DRZ400E. We've done the drag race thing. We both agree that my 99WR400 is quicker. I weigh more than him, but his bikes weighs more than mine. His is not stock (full yosh system) mine is not stock (white bros exhaust+free mods). At any rate, I'm not that much quicker, I doubt that if I were to drag race a similar in weight rider on a WR250, that he would hang around for long. I'd give it about through 2nd gear.

There are a lot of experienced DRZ guys who read this forum. I would love to hear one of them say a wr250 in a drag race would be neck and neck with a 01 DRZ400E. Don't get me wrong, I love the WR's, but give me a friggin break.

A modified DRZ-E model can come quite close to the big WR in performance. Apply some race-tech upgrades to the suspension, uncork the intake, put a full yoshimura exhaust on it, and the bike is something else ? Of course, it will allways still be heavier the the bigger WR, but it still comes down to this; it's not the bike, it's the rider that makes the bike faster or slower.

I love my WR, but those DRZ seats are sure soft and cushy!

A long day in the saddle and your rear end will be happier with the DRZ!

Those DRZ seats are too soft! IDon't get me wrong I like a "soft" seat, but stock DRZ foam is too soft. I purchased a guts racing medium density foam for my bike. It's just right!

A modified DRZ-E model can come quite close to the big WR in performance. Apply some race-tech upgrades to the suspension, uncork the intake, put a full yoshimura exhaust on it, and the bike is something else ? Of course, it will allways still be heavier the the bigger WR, but it still comes down to this; it's not the bike, it's the rider that makes the bike faster or slower.

From a performance standpoint, how do you think the wr250 would compare with the DRZ400e?

Having never ridden the 250F, I cannot answer the question. I would venture a guess that the 250F would rule in the woods. A fairer comparison for the DRZ would be againts the WR400/426/450, since it is closer in weight to a DRZ [fat pig] ?

If you're looking to compare th WR250F againt's a similar bike, a KTM might be a closer comparison.

I have a KLX400SR and my riding partner has a WR450. Both bikes have modifications as far as jetting and piping that sort of thing. There is only one scenario that makes me think my bike is inadequate and that’s when we are riding wheelies, he can pull his up in 5th gear with ease, I have to have a slight grade and less then half a tank of gas ?. As far as a WR250 being faster then a 400S in a drag I would have to say that a little far fetched

I must admit the guy on the 400e out wieghed the guy on the

wr 250 by about 45 pounds. ? The guy on the s out wieghed the guy on the wr by about 20 pounds but it really didn't matter cause the WR smoked the DRZ s bad. If you put equal riders on the e and the WR I'm sure the DRZ would pull the WR but not by much. This really has no bearing on the true performance cause in tight woods the Wr 250 will smoke em

hands down and not beat up the rider.This is why I would chose the WR 250. As for the KTM 250 4 stroker,its a real toad. I would consider a 200 exc 2 stoker first.

I appreciate all the info and input. I have settled on a 01 DRZE, I hope to pick it up soon. It already has the baja kit and is street titled. For my type of riding I think it will be an ideal bike. Infact any of the bikes mentioned will perform far better than I can ride. ?