Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therapture

MORE 426 vs 450 hogwash :)

6 posts in this topic

Well today I had a minor breakdown and took a spin on my buddy Loopout's new CR450F....this is not a flame on either bike, as both are GREAT bikes that any rider could win on.

I finally rode the 450 hard, and noticed one very apparent trait. This bike is easy to get used to, I was jumping the doubles and hammering the same as on my 426 after only 2 laps. Brakes? Strong. Period. Clutch? Wonderful, less grabby than the Yamaha. Steering? Good for me, since I am heavier, I can make the front end drop down and turn. Suspension? With stock springs in the front, it was close, a little soft for me, but very ridable.

Loop added a 5.6 spring to the rear, and it too worked fine, a little soft but raceable.

Motor? VERY smooth and deceiving, it pulls from lower than the Yamaha, but lacks the midrange hit. Probably would work a bit better on a slick track, I prefer the 426 hit on a tacky track. Jumping? Neutral in the air and responds well to rider input, like if you get sideways on takeoff, maybe the weight has something to do with this.

To sum it up, rider preference will definitely be the difference, as both bike can wail a track!

So all the hoopla and bull**** flaing going on between camps needs to stop :D

Both bikes are fine race machines, and as we all know, competition is ALWWAYS good for us, the buyer. I for one, am looking forward to a YZ450F that weighs about 235lbs! WHEEEE!!!!! :)

New guy here. I also rode the CR450 yesterday. I don't race (desert recreational rider) but I found the bike to be a good ride. I could feel the 20 lbs. (guess here) difference, it felt more like a 250 than a 450 thumper. The suspension was fine stock but I'm pretty heavy at 225 lbs. This one seemed to have good midrange power but, he had already changed the pipe to a Big Gun and I suppose that helped out the midrange some. Still after all was said and done, I was just fine climbing back aboard my 98 YZ, (honestly). I won't be racing down to the local dealer to plop down some $7000 odd, hard earned dollars for the change. I likes my bike. :)

Yes, the arguments do need to stop. After all, the YZF is an obviously superior race bike. Because of this, when you (ex-Keith) smoke your competitors (ex-me), the bike gets all the praise. But when we CRF'ers happen to win, well it was obviously with blazing speed and unreal natural talent to overcome our bikes overwhelming bad traits. :)

See ya soon Rapture - B

Originally posted by mxaddict:

Yes, the arguments do need to stop. After all, the YZF is an obviously superior race bike. Because of this, when you (ex-Keith) smoke your competitors (ex-me), the bike gets all the praise. But when we CRF'ers happen to win, well it was obviously with blazing speed and unreal natural talent to overcome our bikes overwhelming bad traits. :)

See ya soon Rapture - B

LOL...smarty pants! Hey, we are heading to VP in 2 weeks on Sunday, you should plan on going then! I need to see where I fit in with another "come-back" rider like yourself :D

And yeah, CR riders need all the help they can get, considering the bike is so slow to barely qualify as a race bike! Hehe, J/K there folks, don't get the proverbial panties in a wad! :D

The bottom line is this....no matter who is riding what.....the fast guys will still be fast and the slow guys will still be slow.

Ernie

Saw my first CRF450 yesterday.

I was trail riding and came upon a tight section with about 6 guys sitting in a line waiting on someone stalled up front. We all finally got moving and I notice it was a CRF450 sitting in the middle of the trail with the owner kicking franticly with no success.

Now, I know it was probably operator error, but so are most of the YZF starting issues, cept the poor YZF gets bashed for it. Also, I remember a Honda guy on TV proudly saying "two kicks at the most, even after you have laid it down"...whatever.