HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doctorleevil

Trunk Racking on an XR650?

4 posts in this topic

Is there anyone out there with a Hard shell trunk on the back of their XR? Is there any way to do this in a cost effective manner? I've also been warned by a local mechanic that the XR frame could be in danger with the weld points being pinched by the already heavy rear end (battery, exhaust , big ass.)

Anyone know a good place online to get the trunk/luggage rack. Looking for something that can be easily removed to handle both a commute and mudding.

Thanks in advance

I made a rack out of aluminum flat and angle stock. It cost around $20. It's very sturdy. I must admit, it came out pretty good, I have gotten some nice comments. But I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it, as I have heard of people breaking welds on the sub frame of the XRL. JC-Whitney sells a universal trunk for arund $50. A lot of guys have put them on their KLR650's. As a matter of fact, I might get one to place on my rack. :)XRL Rack

Wow that's a fantastic job! Did you have to do any welding? Where did you find these aluminum strips? Can you get them at a hardware store? If you can provide your process on how you did this that would be great. Nice job man

Wow that's a fantastic job! Did you have to do any welding? Where did you find these aluminum strips? Can you get them at a hardware store? If you can provide your process on how you did this that would be great. Nice job man

Thanks :D Yeah, it's made with regular ole 3/4" aluminum stock I got from Home Depot. I believe it is 1/8" thick. It is sturdy, carried two brake rotors on it once. It's bolted together with 6/32 machine screws. It has five mounting points. I also used 00 steel wool to give it that brushed aluminum look. :D If you like, I can email you some more pics at different angles to get a better idea. It really is very easy to make. :)