HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ack1961

'03 WR450 dumping fuel out of overflow

4 posts in this topic

Hello. After doing a cleaning on my fcr39, I buttoned everything back up and turned on the fuel petcock. After a few seconds, fuel started to pour from the overflow tube off the fuel bowl. I checked the nut at the bottom of the float bowl and it's tight.

Is that an indicator that I screwed up the float mechanism?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes it is.

Float needle attaches to float, and sits in float needle cavity, hanging on float pin.

You probably knocked the float needle out of the cavity without knowing it.

Yes it is.

Float needle attaches to float, and sits in float needle cavity, hanging on float pin.

Thanks. I had completely disassembled the Float mechanism so I could clean inside the Valve Seat. I reassembled the needle, float & pin and checked to make sure the Float height was correct (to be honest, I didn't measure it, I just eyeballeded it and made sure it stopped properly). I wonder if I could have pinched the float down when putting the bowl back on.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that I need to take the carb off/apart again and check my work.

The reason I was cleaning the carb was becuase it wasn't idling correctly, and I thought the Pilot Jet could have been clogged (which it was).

I appreciate your response. Cheers.

Edited by ack1961

Yes it is.

Thanks Krannie - just to follow up - you were spot on.

When I checked the Float Needle, it was in the Seat, but the Needle Clip had slid to the end of the Tab, pivoted, and got hung up a bit causing it to seat at a weird angle.

I can actually replicate that by turning the carb over rapidly before the Float Bowl is assembled.

I carefully buttoned everything back up and it no longer dumps fuel.

Thanks for your response.

1 person likes this