Moab Vaca in November

Howdy fellow thumperheads. Im crossing over from the DRZ forum because you guys hve more posts and seems like you get around, not that kind of getting around, you know what I mean. I am planning a trip to Moab Nov 5th - 10th. I have been to moab in '96 & '97 for the Fat Tire Mountain Bike Festival the last week of October. It was a blast, sorry to hear it has dropped off quite a bit. Anyways, Is the $150/person per day for a tour guide really worth it??? Yes the support vehicle and meals will be nice, but some of the guys are stretching it just to come to Moab for the week. I dont think everyone can aford the $$$$. The $150 is for people who bring their own equipment. I have been on some of the trails, slick rock, gemini bridges, but some of the other trails I see on the tour websites, Im not sure where they are or haw to get there.

This trip is my brain child and I dont want 10 other guys looking at me when we get there and saying,"this sucks". We are coming down from South Dakota ,in the Black Hills area and there are tons of places to ride areound here locally, I just dont want a bunch of guys upset that we hit to difficult of a trail, or too easy of a trail, you know. Im trying to keep them all happy. Are there any locals who know the area well enough to guide us and point us in the right direction, who would do it for cheaper??

So, my question I guess is...........

Do you recommend hiring a tour guide, or do you think adventurous guys can go and just have fun?? Please advise, I value all of you guys opinions dearly.

Thanks

Schlep

------------------

'95 DR350, '01 TTR 125L(wifes) 2000 DRZ E

IMS 4.2gal tank, DSP frame protectors, DSP fork guards, Acerbis DHH Light, Renthal Bars, Yosh slip-on, Topeak computer setup, 13 front sprocket, WER Skidplate, Thumper Racing Radiator braces/guards, Moose Handguards with Deflectors, and many more to come.... Where is the kickstart on this thing....

[This message has been edited by SchlepRock (edited 04-26-2001).]

Hey Schlep,

Several of us 'Blue' riders generally plan a trip for that time frame, anyway. Let's stay in touch. Feel free to e-mail me directly and I'll forward you the routes and recommendations.

Last fall we had from 30-60 guys out there. Man, what a blast! You'll find the area much more fun on a bike with a motor. There's just way too much to see for peddling.

I really can't help you on the meals, but I certainly can layout a couple hundred miles a day!

Jake

Schlep,

See if you can convince Scarymyth (the short Kerry) to join your trip - the guy is quite the chef :)

I was part of the 30-60 guys there last fall and even though I broke two bikes I had a blast. I wouldn't spend the money to hire guides - unless they are going to cook AND clean/prep my bike. Jake, Bryan, KerryT, Dougie & Scarymyth were awesome guides. did anybody ever find NH Kevin?

Besides, isn't getting lost part of the fun? No we didn't get lost.

Brian

Thanks Jake, I appreciate the offer and I probably will take you up on it. Its still a little early but I dont like to wait until the last minute. Feel free to email me directly at DRZThumper@aol.com or call my office 800-944-4557. Thanks

Pat

------------------

'91 DR350, '01 TTR 125L(wifes) 2000 DRZ E

IMS 4.2gal tank, DSP frame protectors, DSP fork guards, Acerbis DHH Light, Renthal Bars, Yosh slip-on, Topeak computer setup, 13 front sprocket, WER Skidplate, Thumper Racing Radiator braces/guards, Moose Handguards with Deflectors, and many more to come.... Where is the kickstart on this thing....

just wanted to bring it back up to the top of the list... C'mon guys, How many aare going to Moab this November???

------------------

'91 DR350, '01 TTR 125L(wifes) 2000 DRZ E