Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone given their WR426 a Diet??

16 posts in this topic

I am looking very hard at a WR426F but, I'll be gaining 10lbs. has compaired to my DR350. I was thinking of taking off the headlight and use a YZ number plate and change the rear fender with a YZ as well. Any other ideas on where to cut weight and I would like to keep the cost low. I've seen the carbon fiber stuff but it's to pricey :)

1 person likes this

This very topic was discussed in length not long ago. Do a search using the user name Dougie. It was about a month ago.

I think you'll find that the power difference in the two bikes will make the dub-R feel lighter than the DR.

Some popular thought and mods:

YZ number plate

Remove odo (use YZ spacer and seal at odo drive)

Remove kickstand

Aftermarket exhaust (wait for a quite one)

Aftermarket handlebars

Bill

------------------

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards , Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

But at the same time you are gaining 76cc Im not sure on the power of the dr350 but I would think that 76cc would make up for the 10lbs with power. But if you are worried about removing weight number plate and rear fender a start and almost the only thing you can do that wont cost you an arm and a leg.

Marty

You could try losing 10Lbs @ the gym??

Seek the Thumpertalk pages and you shall find just about anything you need to know about the DubR's

Nah,between going to the gym and riding a WR426F I, personally would GAIN more that 10lbs. :):D

I try and take a big dump. I think I have lost up to 5lbs before a ride. On a serious note, a 426 diet can get very expensive, but the stuff is out there. Carbon, Aluminum, titanium, you name it.

I took the big step from a DR350 to a 99 YZ400F. Don't even think twice about the weight. The suspension works so much better on the WR/YZ's that you won't even notice 10 lbs.

Go for it! You will be glad you did!

Bill, I did a search on the thread w/ Dougie and couldn't find it. Other than the exhaust , what parts are the best to replace with cf/titanium for weight?

How about the rear sprocket? Is the stock one steel, or aluminum?

Is the WR subframe aluminum like the YZ?

Search again using Dougie, the post was on 1/26/2001.

The stock rear sprocket is steel. I running an aluminum 52t now, to try the gearing and when it and the chain gives up. I'll be using the sidwinder stainless steel sprocket.

The WR subframe is steel, YZ aluminum, GYT-R titanium (appx$500).

speed is money, how fast can you afford to go :)

Bill

Hey there 696.

Never weighed the WR400 after the mods, but some basic mods I have performed are as follows:

- Titanium DSP Pipe and exhauist

- DSP carbon airbox + velocity stack

- Alloy sub-frame

- Bars

Where I have added weight:

420 kit

Hydralic clutch

Vortex ignition

19" rear wheel

Anyway, good luck

Mitch

Hey Mitch, how do you like your DSP pipe/exhaust? I'm thinking about a Yoshimura titanium. Where did you get your alloy subframe, and for how much? Are the titanium Yamaha subframes durable?

1 person likes this

I put every CF and Ti part avaliable on my WR420 and dual sported it with a Baja designs kit. In street trim it weighs 252lbs.

Some of the itemes added all ti and aluminum fastners including the SW pivot, axels, and linkage bolts. CF skid plate , side panels, fork gards, other gards, clutch cover, mag cover engine mount brackets, seat brackets, etc. Other ti items: subframe, footpegs,---anyway can't remember all the stuff on it.

The bike bone stock with no fuel on my scales weighed 264lbs now dual sported with handgards etc. it weights 252lbs, Its you basic $10,000+ WX420.

Clark

Gtyr 2001 Catalog has lots of Titanium goodies for the WR. 3 different kits all totaling a hefty price tag. The only one Id spend the Money on is the Chassis Kit myself. Maybe the engine kit.. but not anything else. Just my .02.

Have a blast.

Titanium shock spring loses two (2) pounds over its steel counterpart. If you have to ask...

enlightened, huge