grabby clutch

Hey guys

2011 yz450 with 35 hours on it. Clutch grabs a little when leaving at low speeds. Doesn't drag or slip at any time on the track. I use amsoil 10-40 mc syn and change it faithfully every 4 hours. Could the plates be glazed or something and can i correct it with light sanding? I find it hard to believe the basket is notched or its worn out with that little time on it or am i wrong. gonna pull the cover this week , just looking for a little heads up.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by rotax800

Grabby clutches are typically caused by stuff like notches in the basket and boss that make the plates "catch" on the splines instead of sliding smoothly, by friction plates that are "baked" hard, or by driven gear cushions that are beat to death, allowing an excess of free rotation between the clutch assembly and the gear.

If you can't find either the first or third causes, try a new set of plates.

• Like 1

Hey guys

2011 yz450 with 35 hours on it. Clutch grabs a little when leaving at low speeds. Doesn't drag or slip at any time on the track. I use amsoil 10-40 mc syn and change it faithfully every 4 hours. Could the plates be glazed or something and can i correct it with light sanding? I find it hard to believe the basket is notched or its worn out with that little time on it or am i wrong. gonna pull the cover this week , just looking for a little heads up.

Thanks

Tim

My clutch is a touch grabby, just like you mentioned. I have a 2011 with ~25 hours. It started almost as soon as I changed from the original oil. I have since changed brands but haven't ridden enough to make a determination of whether it was the oil or not. I won't make a determination for awhile as it may take a couple oil changes to flush all of the suspect oil out of the clutch fibers. I'll update after the next few rides.

• 2 weeks later...

My clutch is a touch grabby, just like you mentioned. I have a 2011 with ~25 hours. It started almost as soon as I changed from the original oil. I have since changed brands but haven't ridden enough to make a determination of whether it was the oil or not. I won't make a determination for awhile as it may take a couple oil changes to flush all of the suspect oil out of the clutch fibers. I'll update after the next few rides.

Update. The change in oil made a difference. Much smoother clutch engagement now.