HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsayre13

fuel in engine

8 posts in this topic

So my 2002 yz426f was having problems starting recently. Before this I have always gotten it started in 2-3 kicks. it was hard starting for a couple weeks then (at the track) just quit and will not start.

Things ive checked: carb is getting fuel, New spark plug. When I took of the inspection covers to check for valve clearance (which were good) I got about a gallon of gas out of the engine case.

Ive got the carbs out to clean them now. any other ideas on what could be happening? I'm at a loss!

Oopsy, your float stuck (or something). The gas likely got into the crankcase by having the float needle allow a slow flood while the bike sat with the gas on. Float level was high enough to drool gas into the intake without rising far enough to run out the overflow tube.

Put carb back together. Drained oil that had the gas mixed in it and found this. Still can kick through without using decomp lever. Rings? Not sure where to go from here.

1366685810197.jpg

Put carb back together. Drained oil that had the gas mixed in it and found this. Still can kick through without using decomp lever. Rings? Not sure where to go from here.

Do you have a photo from other side?

On the "flooding" issue. On carbs that have a removable float seat ALWAYS replace the O'ring seal. They flatten out and stop sealing 100% , this allows fuel to bypass the needle and seat. Your needle and seat could be working perfectly but it will allow fuel into the bowl and then into your engine - result ,fuel in your oil. I have drained as much as 16litres ( about 4 gallons) of fuel out of individual engines over the years because of this fault !!!

Edited by zeuszuki