Instant RPM!!

I put my thunder alley pipe on. while I had it semi-apart, I did the BK mod, raised the needle 1 notch, put a 168 main in it. The result? Blipping the throttle results in a blast of RPM I have never witnessed from a four stroke engine of any type or kind. I so excited Im almost scared. I actually set the pump timing with the engine running, blipping the throttle and give it a twist, blip it again etc. This seemed to yield best results for an unloaded reaction from the motor. One thing I did find that I didnt expect. Both of my throttle cables were frayed terribly. Is this common? The return cable was down to a single strand! Scary when thought of broken. :)

I have heard of a few frayed cables here. I have never had such a problem. I'm thinking it may be an alignment problem. Ty Davis sells a billet wheel that is supposed to eliminate the problem all together.

Ernie

Shawn - Yep, the mod makes a huge difference doesn't it :) Wait till you try her on the track!

Which end of the cable was frayed? My cable keeps getting looser and I keep tightening it and now you have me concerned that it's getting looser because it's getting frayed. :)

The cable thing: Yup it happens. At least it did on my '98 and a lot of my buddies '98s too. I assumed they fixed it. It gives you cruise control if it gets frayed bad enough. The cable(s) is $29.

The problem is with the bracket holding the ends of the cables. Once you get a good set of cables on, bend the cable bracket to insure a straight alignment coming and going to the pulley. Going to an aftermarket pulley won't cure the alignment problem.

Originally posted by MX Tuner:

The problem is with the bracket holding the ends of the cables. Once you get a good set of cables on, bend the cable bracket to insure a straight alignment coming and going to the pulley. Going to an aftermarket pulley won't cure the alignment problem.

:D:)

I actually zip-tied the cables together to help align them........after a $30 purchase of new cables!

the bracket must have been made in Afghanastan!

It is totally out of alignment. about a 10-15degree angle?????W.T.H?

why wouldn't yammy make it parallel?

zip ties help tons!