2003 yz450f sand dunes

I've been to the dunes on a '03 300EXC & '11 KX250F.

Front tire doesn't matter too much as it doesn't do much. Rear paddle goes, lean the bike turns. Gotta be on the throttle to do anything on sand.

I ran an 8 paddle on both of my bikes. I'd bet a 450 could hanldle a 9 paddle.

You need all the wheel spin/speed you can get but sand sucks power like mad, so I have always ran stock gearing.

So than basically do you have any good suggestions

On brands of paddle? I have 14 front sprocket and 48 rear.

I have the stage 2 hotcams and the hotrods heavy duty

Crank assembly and a 478 cylinder works big bore.

Last time I dyno tested I had 78hp so im guessing

Power over stock wont be an issue.

If your pushing 70+hp then get the biggest paddle you can fit and gear for more top speed than stock. Being a four speed, you'll want all the top end you can get.

Search and see what chain/sprocket people are running to fit the biggest paddle. On both of my bikes, I had to decide on gearing that allowed me to fit the right number of links to have my axle all the way back or the paddle would hit the front of the swing arm.

Also IMO set your suspension stiff. You gotta keep the front end light. If your front end sags, weight transfers forward, your gonna wash out.

The biggest front sprocket you can run is a 16. They are hard to find but they do exist. In the desert I run 15/47 and it has decent top speed and still has plenty of power down low. The 16/47 is a long straight road special like ocotillo wells roads. It kills the bottom end power but has much better top end. Personally I only ran the 16 once just to do it sort of thing.

So than I have a spare good 15 tooth for the front. But you suggest cutting one from stock on the rear? This is all great!

I don't think one more on the back will be to noticeable one way or another thats just where I ended up for no good reason. All I know is it works for me ?. The last race I did this weekend they had a top speed competition on a lake bed as part of the course and they had a guy with a radar/police busting you tool speed gun thing and they recorded peoples speeds. I asked if he got mine on another bored. If he did i'll post it up if your interested in top speed.

Get a 10 paddle tire, i have a stock '04 that just spins with the 8 paddle on it, not to mention its nearly ripped off several paddles, i picked up a sand snake 10 paddle for $60 at cycle gear now im hookin up, damn tho with 78hp you might need a hillclimb tire or something get any traction