Lithium Battery Users - Which one to use

My battery needs to be replaced and I'm leaning heavily towards a Lithium Battery.

I like the Shorai, and I know there are a few others out there like AntiGravity & Ballistic.

Shorai Battery - $159.95: LFX14L2-BS12 with 210 CCA and 1.46 lbs, 4.45"L x 2.28"W x 3.5"H

AntiGravity - $119.99 : YTZ7 4 Cell with 120 CCA and 1 lb, 4.5"L x 2.75"W x 4.12"H

$179.99 : YTZ7 8 Cell with 240 CCA and 1.8 lbs, 4.5"L x 2.75"W x 4.12"H

Ballistic - $169.95 : 8 Cell 100-011 with 275 CCA and 1.7 lbs, 4.5"L x 2.5"W x 4.25"H

For those using one of these or similar, which would be the best option for a 2005 wr450 dual sported, so it would be powering heated grips in the winter and a hard wired GPS most rides. Headlight and tail light are on a switch for reduced starting load.

I had an 05 wr450 for years. Almost any battery will work on this bike, including the stock one. But the Shorai is the one I used. Just be careful to put in the pads so it doesn't bounce around. Its quite a bit smaller than the stock battery, but with more cranking power.

The wr's crank and kick over so easy that the power of a lithium battery is wasted on this bike. The stock ytz7s should last you for years.

Regarding your accessories, you really need to worry about the stator to make sure it has the power to run the other stuff. The battery will drain if you have too big of a draw. I had a 100w DC stator installed on mine. But it forced me to upgrade my headlight to HID (cheap, easy, and better). The heated grips will take some power to run. The GPS will take little or no power to run.

Haven't heard of the turn tech until now, seems they are out of stock though and I need to pull the trigger quick....I'm too damn short to kick start it on the trail...

I'll email him though and see when they'll have them in stock again.

Do you think the weight difference would be noticable with a lithium battery and lighter weight exhaust? Sorry to hijak.

ive been considering this same thing. i figure you could shave an easy 5lbs, if not more. by changing both. and the weight would be coming from up high.

I have had two Shorai batteries crap out both within a relatively short period of time. The first was a LFX18 series in my '10 KTM 990 SMT which Shorai replaced with no questions asked. The second was a LFX14 series in my '09 Beta 565 RS. I didn't even bother replacing with another Shorai but went with the TurnTech 5AH which E-starts better than the Shorai ever did. The TurnTech battery in my '08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W is still going strong after 5 years of use.

• Like 1

On a 2005 wr450, you will not notice the weight difference. That bike is too heavy. But generally speaking, lighter weight is better...

I'm not convinced that you'd "feel it" on any full sized bike unless you're Taddy Blazuziak. But you're right, lighter is better and the lack of maintenance and longevity are plenty enough value to ditch the lead acid IMHO.

bah these bikes are plenty light for the power. people who think these bikes are heavy grew up on motocross 2 smokers or something... I weigh 145 and ride this bike fine.. After a day of trail riding - am i sweating? Yah - but that's the way it should be!

i do agree, if you can, these bikes are easy to kick over. my 2004 starts on first kick nearly every time, love it!

i've had no issues with the Shorai Battery either ?