Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dago52

Recommended Oil

33 posts in this topic

I am getting close to my first oil change and searched for recommendations but no luck. I am thinking of going with a Honda filter and Mobil1 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil. Im open to recommendations and Amsoil is hard to find around my neck of the woods.

Thanks

Has to be JASO MA Spec for wet clutch.

Other than that make sure you choose the right viscosity, and you're good to go.

I like Motul 7100, but that is just my personal preference there are many others just as good.

Edited by Positron007
3 people like this

Thanks, it looks like the Mobil 1 oil meets and exceeds the requirements. I will pick some up this week.

Make sure it is JASO MA otherwise you'll stuff your clutch in no time.

2 people like this

Here's a good read that I took from one of my Maxim X buddies site's, ignore the Maxim X parts, the rest can relate to the CRFL...JASO MA rating as Positron007 mentions, is the answer... :thumbsup:

http://www.maxim-x.com/oil_change.html

Bob, thanks for the link. Great info. I have been running Mobil One in my Tundra since I purchased in 2006. I currently have 190,000 miles and it runs like a clock. I am a big believer in changing my oil frequently.

2 people like this

That's really the bottom line.

Use what ever brand oil you like in the correct weight and specification and change it regularly.

Your motor will thank you with many happy miles.

Jon...

2 people like this

What about the Honda PRO GN4-Stroke oil? That's what the service manual calls for.

I've used the HONDA HP oil on my CR250 and haven't had any problems.

What about the Honda PRO GN4-Stroke oil? That's what the service manual calls for.

I've used the HONDA HP oil on my CR250 and haven't had any problems.

It definitely does the job. I have had shifting issues with that oil though. It breaks down very quickly and I have had issues with gear changes.

Probably fine if you are replacing your oil every 2000 miles

Edited by Positron007

Hmmm...not sure what I want to use. I am almost at 300 miles and will do the first change sometime after that (600 miles).

If you plan to replace the oil at every 8000 miles (12000km) according to the manufacturers recomendation, then I highly recommend using a synthetic (JASO MA) oil, if you plan to change it more regulary ie <2000 miles then any cheap JASO MA oil at the right viscosity will do the job.

It definitely does the job. I have had shifting issues with that oil though. It breaks down very quickly and I have had issues with gear changes.

Probably fine if you are replacing your oil every 2000 miles

i have to ask, which oil did you have shifting issues??? honda oil in general? HP? or the GN4?

i have to ask, which oil did you have shifting issues??? honda oil in general? HP? or the GN4?

GN4, as well as some other cheap oils gave me shifting problems, usually around 2000 miles.

Changing to a synthetic remedied the problem

kool, thank you positron... since i have not had many 4 strokes, i have been a belray guy for all my 2 strokes, including my 1/5th scale baja... but mostly cause i didn't know any better or what else to use... it seems to be the oil all the shops around here have carried throughout time... i really do not know if i should stick to the belray or switch it up this time around... and the local shops around here are all about promoting what they sell (of course)... i did use the belray in my suzuki 400z... and in my bayou also... never had problems, but i always changed my oil regularly... dad's a mechanic... he always said its the least you can do, don't be lazy... lol

If you want to follow the 8000 mile oil change interval by Honda definitely get a Full Synthetic JASO MA oil.

There are quite a few good Synthetic JASO MA rated oils.

Try a few of them till you find one you like best.

1 person likes this

I definitely want to use synthetic. I use only Mobil 1 in my truck and it is now at 170,000 miles with no major issues.

I also have not had a 4 stroke for awhile. Only had one for about a year when I was in 6th grade.

I think it's always good practice to change oil before and after every winter regardless of miles .... That's just me tho ...

2 people like this

i agree with you there 100% gnath... i run through all my gas powered stuff... mini bike, weed whacker, lawn mower, generator, water pump, and bikes... oil changes are a must in my eyes at the end of the season and stabil run through them all also.. any old gas in cans gets put in my cars a little at a time and fresh gas is put back in cans with stabil again.. all my stuff always starts the next year and i never have a problem... luck, or preventive maintenance? lol