Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stayinthirsty

noob needs help

7 posts in this topic

First, clutch worked fine before i broke into the bike, just a little stiff. I thought i would change the springs to see if that would do the trick. Fibers looked fine and were in spec. basket looked fine too. replaced springs went to torque them down and boom bolt flew off(im an idiot and over torqued it) got a new hub and put everything back together, washers in correct spot, plates in order and everything torqued to spec(correct spec, got a torque wrench now.) when i went to check clutch it would not disengage, it feels like its pulling the clutch but no disengagement . im going to break back into it tonight. just seeing if anybody could point me in a direction to what ive messed up. Do the notches on the friction plates need to go a certain way? nothing was said in the manual about it. ill try and get pics but i dont know if it will help. Thank you in advance

You've got something stuck between the plates.....so it won't disengage....like a washer or a piece of broken bolt...or to many steels or fiber plates....

Edited by Krannie

Broke back into it and nothing on the plates or basket, 7 plates 8 fibers, wrapped it up. Still nothing. I must have the disengage/engaged confused.

When in gear with clutch pulled it still grabs, no free wheel motion. I'm stumped.

Thanks for the response btw

Broke back into it and nothing on the plates or basket, 7 plates 8 fibers, wrapped it up. Still nothing. I must have the disengage/engaged confused.

When in gear with clutch pulled it still grabs, no free wheel motion. I'm stumped.

Thanks for the response btw

Are you doing this with a cold/dead engine?

If so, you should not expect it to disengage until it's hot.

It's official I'm am idiot

Haha I can't believe I didn't warm it up before posting on here. Thanks again, works fine now.

Make sure you have the bearing and push rod assembly correct, adjustment at the lever should be the same as before new springs. See if the pressure plate is moving evenly up and down, should be able to wiggle the plates a bit with clutch lever pulled in (pressure plate pushed away from motor. You probably won't be able to freely move the inner and outer hub indepently regardless as there will be too much stickiness between the plates even without pressure on them.

I never change the order or direction of the plates in a used clutch as I recon they wear together in a pattern but I have no proof this really matters too much unless it's so worn it needs replaced anyways, the plates are the same on both sides to answer your question. Make sure there aren't any deep grooves worn into the baskets where the plates rub against them as this can also cause clutch drag.

Unless someone has added HD springs you probably won't see any improvement in lever pull with new springs, a good cable lubing or replacing a worn clutch cable is the only real improvement you can make short of a magura hydraulic unit.

Good luck, and BTY I have the clutch cover off my bike right now if you need to see any color pics of whats suppose to be going on in there..

Thanks for the response, went back and checked everything and it looks good to go.

I was thinking about the magura clutch. I feel most comfortable clutching with one finger and the cable clutch is wearing me out! I converted the bike to a SM and ride it on the streets a lot, I think it would be a good application for it because it wouldn't take any abuse as far as crashing goes. Also thought about the rekluse but its harder on the wallet. Any opinions on the Magura?