HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kennethyz450f

Yz450f Carburated - Regular maintenance tips

10 posts in this topic

Just Bought an 06yz450f with 10 total hours on it had ben sitting for a long time but the guy started it up every month and its runs great, has fresh oil and filter and aircleaner. I just wanted to get some advice on some general Maintenance on this bike, I ride trails only and im not to hardcore and dont rev very high.. Thanks!

2013-03-23_15-52-11_613.jpg

Edited by Kennethyz450f

Valve checks every 15 hours. Oil and filter change every 15 hours. Tire pressure every ride. Chain tension every ride. Air filter every 1-2 rides.

That's pretty much it other than keep it clean for "simple maintenance"

Check the brake pads alot, would suck to ruin a rotor. Sprocket wear. Chain guide wear.

Can't think of much else

I have a 07yz450. Check the steering head bearings for grease. Get an easy to adjust by hand pilot screw for the carb.

Valve checks every 15 hours. Oil and filter change every 15 hours. Tire pressure every ride. Chain tension every ride. Air filter every 1-2 rides.

That's pretty much it other than keep it clean for "simple maintenance"

Check the brake pads alot, would suck to ruin a rotor. Sprocket wear. Chain guide wear.

Can't think of much else

Oil every 15 hours??? More like 5.

Oil every 15 hours??? More like 5.

If you're riding it super hard, then yes. For light riding, 15 should be okay.

the key to not gumming up the carbs is to run the bowls dry before storing for a few weeks/months. Just turn the gas off and let the bike idle, it will burn all the gas in the carbs. Also leave very little gas in the tank when storing it, or just drain the entire tank. I like to use a fuel stabilizer before storing.

If it has fresh oil and new air filter, you should change the spark plug. Also check the valve clearance.

If you're riding it super hard, then yes. For light riding, 15 should be okay.

The oil will break down at the same rate regardless of how hard it is ridden.

The oil will break down at the same rate regardless of how hard it is ridden.

I disagree the harder you ride or a better way of putting it the more heat generated the faster oil's break down, then there is also the aspect of clutch abuse which can send a lot more contaminates into the oil than merely the oil it's self breaking down. I spend extended times close to and at wide open and under heavy loads on my bike doing desert racing in the usual 80+ miles I ride at a time I encounter miles of sand,, rock and hills. Some times after a race I have boiled about a quarter of my coolant out in slow going rock areas and ruin a clutch in one race. After just one 4 hour race in those conditions the oil and filter is toast(I use paper and change regularly). Now take another 80+ mile ride with some buddies with a packed lunch I can get 2 of them in and the oil still is in as good as shape as what I stated above and it will actually have more hours on it. That is my 2 cents and NO I have not sent in samples to verify but the old eye and touch test does not lie in my opinion. That being said I would not go 15 but I sure would go 8 but that is mainly due to my access to oil. If I were buying at full price I surly would stretch it out longer in some cases.

I disagree the harder you ride or a better way of putting it the more heat generated the faster oil's break down, then there is also the aspect of clutch abuse which can send a lot more contaminates into the oil than merely the oil it's self breaking down. I spend extended times close to and at wide open and under heavy loads on my bike doing desert racing in the usual 80+ miles I ride at a time I encounter miles of sand,, rock and hills. Some times after a race I have boiled about a quarter of my coolant out in slow going rock areas and ruin a clutch in one race. After just one 4 hour race in those conditions the oil and filter is toast(I use paper and change regularly). Now take another 80+ mile ride with some buddies with a packed lunch I can get 2 of them in and the oil still is in as good as shape as what I stated above and it will actually have more hours on it. That is my 2 cents and NO I have not sent in samples to verify but the old eye and touch test does not lie in my opinion. That being said I would not go 15 but I sure would go 8 but that is mainly due to my access to oil. If I were buying at full price I surly would stretch it out longer in some cases.

I agree, 15 is clearly WAYYY too long though.

Wheel Bearings

Swing Arm Bearings

Rear Shock Bearings

Steering Head Bearings

Muffler Bearings haha j/k on that one

Making sure those arent wore out or are greased can free up some power and control.