New owner of a 2004 WR450f street legal- sprocket setup?

Greetings all,

I was lucky enough to find a 2004 WR450f that is titled/reg'd for street. They did all the right 'powerup mods' - took real good care of it but he was riding it off road mostly so he had a 52 rear sprocket on it (helllllooo wheelies :goofy::ride: ).

I plan to ride mine on street to connect to easier trails, and commuting a little as well to friends and sometimes work. I'll never go above the 50 mph roads but trips would be 20-30 miles+. But would like to easily sustain 50 mph without revving out the engine too much. I'm pretty light - around 145lbs.

What would be a good countersprocket size and rear sprocket size? And what chain to use? I was going to order from Dirttricks as their sprockets seem to be pretty solid.

Basically - a setup that could 'cruise' (relative terms for a WR450f) and still doable for easy trails off road. I was thinking maybe 45 rear and 14 front? What size chain?

Any input much appreciated!

Cheers

I am using a 16 in the front and the stock 50 in the rear for dualsporting on my 2002wr426 and really like it. cruised on the road easily in 5th between 35 and 50 with enough gearing for the trail. I had to do a little modifacation to the chain case protector and the swingarm protector to make it clear but not much. probably a 15 in the front and a 48 or 49 in the rear would work good for you. I really like the

RK Racing Chain 520EXW-114 114-Links XW-Ring Chain

I am using a 16 in the front and the stock 50 in the rear for dualsporting on my 2002wr426 and really like it. cruised on the road easily in 5th between 35 and 50 with enough gearing for the trail. I had to do a little modifacation to the chain case protector and the swingarm protector to make it clear but not much. probably a 15 in the front and a 48 or 49 in the rear would work good for you. I really like the

RK Racing Chain 520EXW-114 114-Links XW-Ring Chain

Thanks.. I know these bikes engines are evolved from the racey YZ motor so some people will be against riding it street at prolonged intervals, just got to maintain it well enough.

I'll never ride it on highway - just comfortable as can be 50 mph for 20-30 minute stretches of road, but still lug down low on easier trails. Wr426 was a great bike from what I hear.

Appreciate it

Edited by whatsitmatter

15/49 works beautifully for me in an all around dual sport setup.

Runs nice at around 60, still crawls at a walking pace in first.

Alright - will try something like 15 front and 49 setup.

Since I will be changing tires at same time, have to ask any opinions on that subject - 40 street 60 dirt tire? Light woods riding in Northeast US - I had Kenda K270 on my back for a 250 I had and liked it. Opinions on nice front?

sorry if it's been covered already..

Thanks again

Edited by whatsitmatter

I have run the Pirelli MT-21's when I was doing a bit more dual sport type riding and found great traction and amazing durability!

I have run the Pirelli MT-21's when I was doing a bit more dual sport type riding and found great traction and amazing durability!

Thanks.. I went with the Kenda K270s - I will try the MT-21s next time and try to come up with a comparison.

So will 15-49 sprocket setup still give me some snap in gears 1-3? I currently am running 50 in the back, not sure what is the Countersprocket is as I got it used and don't really know an easy way to count the teeth on counter sprockets, but pretty sure it's a 14... from my understanding, is the factory size? Any other experiences with this? Going to order the sprockets in about a week with chain. Would like to be around 49-50 on rear but unsure about countersprocket.. I still want some snap when I rev it quick in low gear but still maintain 50 mph with relatively low rpms so I can ride 20-30 miles to trails or to a friends..

Still haven't gotten it out on the street as weather is in the low 50s here :foul:

Edited by whatsitmatter

Im currently running a 13/42 on my yz426f, and just ordered a 14 front. And I ride it everywhere, from in the bush to on the highway and everything in between. I wouldn’t mind getting a wr transmission and going to a 15 front, could always use more top speed.