Yz400 vs yz450

I have a 1998 yz400f It has full exhaust, rejetted, flywheel weights, and a transmission out of a 426, but I was wondering how it would do against a 2007 yz450f? Like which one would be faster and have more power? I'm looking at getting one but I don't want to spend the money if its slower than my 400.

Will the 450 be faster though? Or have more power?

It should is the simple answer. I'm faster than my buddies on their yz426/wr400's all day long on my 03 yz450 and I only have 4 speeds. sure they can catch me on a 5 mile long lake bed but after that they are sucking dust if they can even keep up in that. What are you doing salt flat racing for top mph or desert racing or mx. If its either one of the later of the 2 the 450 will be better. heck 07 has 5 speeds it will even be a better salt flat racer to most likly

I'm sure it has to do alot with the riders also. I have a yz426 buddy has a yz400f and ride with 2 other buddy's on yz450s ones a 04 ones a 06 we all have about the same skill level except the guy with the yz400 hes got a little more seat time and is just good imo and if were NOT in a wide open throttle 5 gear kinda thing his yz400 is usally at the front of our pack! Faster bike? Mabey. faster rider? Probly? Ride what you like and can afford and have a fun time doing it! Best advice I can give ya.

I'm sure it has to do alot with the riders also. I have a yz426 buddy has a yz400f and ride with 2 other buddy's on yz450s ones a 04 ones a 06 we all have about the same skill level except the guy with the yz400 hes got a little more seat time and is just good imo and if were NOT in a wide open throttle 5 gear kinda thing his yz400 is usally at the front of our pack! Faster bike? Mabey. faster rider? Probly? Ride what you like and can afford and have a fun time doing it! Best advice I can give ya.

pretty much what I was trying to get at.

In MOST cases bigger displacement usally means a faster bike. In this case I would say its about even. Great running bikes set up the same way the 450 MIGHT be a mph faster but honestly I'm not sure. I'm just going off the bike I ride and the guys i ride with and there bikes. Might get a little different answer from a 450 owner than a 426 or 400 guy?!

I have a2000 YZ 426 with a 3mm big bore kit and a transmission out of a WR 426 ported suspension is dialed in.

I have owned aluminum framed bikes I like the way the steel frame bikes feel better my self.

My 426 will out run a stock 450 has more topend than a 450 and with the 426 stickers on the swingarm make the 450 owners scratch there heads when I pulling away from them.

Yes you can make a fast 450 but I just like the 426 much better in the tight stuff and has the overdrive in 5th gear due to the WR transmission.

I also had a KTM 560SM that made in to a Dirt bike it had eye bleeding type top end kick that bike up into 6th gear nothing would keep up with that bike but it was just to heavy many time it scare you of the weight.

The YZ 400 and the 426 is almost the same bike with some work and finding part on E bay you could make a 400 a sleeper also.

A 2007 YZ450F is light years ahead of a YZ400!! I have owned/race: 1999 YZ400, 2001 426, and I'm on my third 450 (2004, 07, 10) Picking up a brand new 2013 Friday! ? Ride what you can afford is solid advice... Remember ALL bikes are fun! 2007 450's were awesome bikes. Yamaha came out with Speed Sensitive Dampening system for there front and rear suspenion in 07'. This suspenion in many peoples, and most magazines opinions is the best production (stock) suspension ever! 400's and 426's have somewhere around 40-45 hp. A 2007 450 has 53! 2007 was the 2nd year of Yamahas 1st generation aluminum frame. The list goes on... 5 speed... etc...If you can get your hands on an affordable 2007 do it!! You wont be disappointed.

Good Luck