Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gcally

07 YZ forks in 07 WR triple clamps

5 posts in this topic

I just picked up a set of 07 YZ450f forks for my 07 WR and I need some help. I want to use my WR clamps but from what I read on the forum the front wheel will be offset by 1 mm.

How can I get the wheel to be centered using the WR clamps?

Is the 1 mm really going to matter?

What clamps did you guys use when you did the swap?

Post I found about trimming the right side wheel spacer.

“The '06-'07 (and later) YZ450 fork is also set 2mm wider in the clamps than the earlier models, and this is corrected by moving the axle lugs inboard 1mm per side. The tubes will fit into the WR clamps correctly, but you find you need to trim the brake side wheel spacer to align the caliper correctly.”

Post I found about using the WR clamps with the YZ forks and not centering the wheel.

“Yes, '06+ YZ forks are 2mm wider than '05 and earlier and WR forks but the difference is something that you will never notice. The 2mm difference is made up in the axle trunions, the axles and spacers are the same. The '07 WR front wheel and speedo drive will fit without any problems if you are using '06+ forks in WR triple clamps. The net effect is the front will be offset by 1mm. The 1mm difference in rotor alignment is taken up by the caliper sliding on the mounting pins and causes no problems with the front brake. I have been using '06 YZ forks on my '03 WR450 with '06 WR triple clamps for a year with no problems. I had to change the clamps im my case but you can use your existing triple clamp.”

They will bolt straight into the WR clamps. Once you tighten the front axle nut, it will centre the wheel fine. There will be a slight overhang on the axle but it won't be a problem I have the same set up works great.

You will notice that the axle seems to long on the right (no brake) side, but other than that it works fine.

I did not measure a 1mm offset change when I did a front-to-rear wheel alignment check with a fishing line.....

You understand that 1mm is .0394", right? I don't think most people are capable of measuring a 1mm misalignment. It will exist, however, nonetheless.

An alternative to machining or replacing the spacer is to recenter the wheel with the spokes. The caliper mount should have no problem dealing with the .040" difference in rotor position.

You understand that 1mm is .0394", right? I don't think most people are capable of measuring a 1mm misalignment. It will exist, however, nonetheless.

An alternative to machining or replacing the spacer is to recenter the wheel with the spokes. The caliper mount should have no problem dealing with the .040" difference in rotor position.

The difference is noticeable and measurable, and relevant......if you want to go straight with the front wheel going straight, not crabbing.

But we did not measure a difference from the edge of the rim to either side.