Oil question again but read pls

In my 426 I have been using yamalube 20w50 in the summer and 10w40 when it got colder,now I have a 07 yz450 and was wonder if running the yamalube is a good idea.I did some searching on the forums and it seems yamalube isn't that great.I know the newer yz has about 1/2 the oil the 426 had so its gona break down faster.If the yamalube is used should I only use the 20w50 because of the shearing caused by the trans?I'm about to get some oil to change it but there's limited choices here,I think there's a mobil 1 synthetic 20w50 & 10w40,castrol 20w50 & 10w40,yamalube and a host of diesel oils.I read some diesel oils were good to use also.I can also get kawi oil as I know they share gearbox and engine oil.I think Yamaha offers a synthetic oil also but not 100% sure.Castrol,yamaha and the kawi oils are about the same price but the mobil1 is double.

Edit: looking at walmarts website the rotella T6 5w40 is also available but its automotive oil,I read a lot of ppl recommend rotella,also theres canadiantire selling the rotell t diesel oil 15w40 in 18.9 ltr buckets.

Edited by etuke

If the rotella t is good then by the bucket its like only $3 a ltr.

The rotella 15w40 is ok if you change your oil every ride or couple of hours. Otherwise it begins to breakdown.

The consensus in this forum is the motorcycle specific Mobil 1, Maxima or amsoil synthetics are the ones to use. Amsoil can be had for 1/2 the price you see at Canadian tire if you buy their membership, so it's the one I use. Shipping isn't bad if you buy online, but I found a local "dealer" who stocked boxes of it in my city. Maybe you can find the same thing.

Edit: Forgot to add, since you can safely run the amsoil 2-3 times longer than the rotella, the cost savings isn't really there to use the cheap oil.

Edited by cereal killer

yamalube fine, rotella fine, ride on

I was recently told by a sales rep at a dealership that i had to run yamalube or any other name brand (honda,kawi,etc), i originally got some castrol and they told me that wasnt good for it and that it could ruin my clutch. Seeing that i got a very expensive clutch i didnt want to risk it. Is it true that i must run yamalube? im running 20w-50

I was recently told by a sales rep at a dealership that i had to run yamalube ... Is it true that i must run yamalube?

No. Read the post I linked to earlier.

talked to our yami dealer today and they said to not run synthetic and to run yamalube 20w50.I know that's not true but I have a list of oils I found today

Mobile 1 MX4T 10w40

Castrol Power RS 10w50

Castrol Grandprix 20w50

Valvoline VR1 20w50

Rotella T6

Rotella T

Yamalube 10w40/20w50

Amsoil 10w40 $20 a quart

SAE 30w/40w diesel oil

out of all these what 1 or 2 would be the best,I know first pick will be amsoil but its really expensive but if I can run 2-3 times longer then it all evens out.I actually bought some Mobile 1 MX4T today as it was on clearance for 1/2 price so I'm going to try that on my first oil change,also what would be a hour time for changing it out?

Mobile 1 MX4T 10w40 New labeling is "Racing 4T", same oil. Tied for first

Castrol Power RS 10w50 OK

Castrol Grandprix 20w50 No info

Valvoline VR1 20w50 Better than nothing

Rotella T6 Recently reformulated to improve shear, rates as OK now

Rotella T Not sure. Historically weak in trans, but may have been upgraded along with T6?

Yamalube 10w40/20w50 The best synthetic YL is OK, not so the rest

Amsoil 10w40 $20 a quart Must be "Synthetic Motorcycle Oil" MCF or MCV (20w-50). Tied for first with M1

SAE 30w/40w diesel oil I don't recommend these, but most single grade C oils are not subject to viscosity shear down because the base oil is already 40wt. Don't use a 30 except in very cold weather.

I actually bought some Mobile 1 MX4T today as it was on clearance for 1/2 price so I'm going to try that on my first oil change,also what would be a hour time for changing it out?

Change the Racing 4T (MX4T) at up to 8-10 hours. I go by days of riding, and change after 3 unless the next ride I go to is going to be a desert race. I change to fresh oil for that as each such weekend means two days of riding, 5-6 hours total.

clears up a lot,thanks.I may stick to the mobile 1 as its here at walmart all the time plus the bike only takes 1 and can run it longer so all in all it may be cheaper to run the yz450 than the 426 with the yamalube.

Honestly I think greys post of oil rating will help a lot of ppl who are in the same boat,its precise to the specific oil,maybe it should be added to for other brands.

Edited by etuke