Does 1 or 2 teeth make that much difference?

I'm thinking about getting a new rear sprocket. I want to know how much difference one or two teeth really makes? Is it really that noticeable?

I ride mostly MX with the night tracks SX style. I'm considering a 51t rear. What do ya'll think? Thanks.

Do the math!! Stock final ratio is 3.5/1. with 14 front and 49 back. If we go to 51 on back that drops final drive to 3.71/1. Or roughly 6%. This my friend you will feel in the seat of your pants for sure. My suggestion, while buying 52 toother ya pick up some new grips and a gripper seat too! Oh and watch the whole looping it out of the corner issue too!

Good luck and Hang ON! :)

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:

Do the math!! Stock final ratio is 3.5/1. with 14 front and 49 back. If we go to 51 on back that drops final drive to 3.71/1. Or roughly 6%. This my friend you will feel in the seat of your pants for sure. My suggestion, while buying 52 toother ya pick up some new grips and a gripper seat too! Oh and watch the whole looping it out of the corner issue too!

Good luck and Hang ON! :)

Yep, What he said. I was shocked how much easier my 400 was to ride in the tight stuff after going uo 2 teeth, and lucky I already had a gripper seat.

I just put a 51 on my '00. I did it for a hare scramble, although I mainly do moto. I did one practice day at the track with it and I really thought it was too much of a change, but it did make the bike very much better for the hare scramble which was tight woods single track mostly. Next time I'm going with a 51 since I think it would be the best compromise. Best of all I guess would be to put the stock 49 back on and buy a EXC for scrambles but I don't think the wife would go for it...

But adjusting the front is just as affective. After riding with Jason in KC and talking to him about his gearing. I went down to a 13 front and it has helped the bike greatly for drives out of the corner.

I agree the change is noticeable. I went to the 13 front and love it. I do a mix of riding. The up side of doing the front is that it was only $15 bucks or so and the rears are way more expensive.

I am told that one tooth up front = 3 in the rear so by going to a 13 it's like going to a 52 in the rear. I didn't do the math myself (and don't want to) but the bike really hops off the bottom! :)

Happy Trails...

J

I also put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and found the only limiting factor to be I have to shift to 5th gear on some of the straights on my local track. I guess that is not really a problem just somthing I noticed.

Later

I'm running a 51t rear and love it. It makes supercross type stuff much easier - it allows me to chug through corners and then snap out of them. On most tracks, I am now able to use 3rd gear for most of it with an occasional tap into 4th. On high speed tracks, you will be bumping into 5th a lot sooner so I guess this isn't something you desert guys want to change.

And yes, 1 tooth in front = roughly 3 on the rear. That may be too big a change.

Later,

Odie