HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mauwick

06 WR450 overheating with IMS TANK

8 posts in this topic

I have searched all the forums recently (although not extensively). The bike is overheating on slow technical single track. I would consider myself to be a little better than a beginner. I remember seeing something about changing the radiator cap to a stronger pressure. Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

I have searched all the forums recently (although not extensively). The bike is overheating on slow technical single track. I would consider myself to be a little better than a beginner. I remember seeing something about changing the radiator cap to a stronger pressure. Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

There is heaps of info on this on here. Awesome site I must say.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/886354-cooling-fans-and-amp-draw-on-wr450f/page__st__60__hl__+radiator%20+fans#entry10582482

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1007085-bigger-radiator-test/page__hl__%2Bradiator+%2Bfans

Enjoy!

those fans would last about 5 minutes where I ride.. I'm going to get the Tusk cap.

I noticed jetting makes a huge difference. I am a bit lean at sea level (I ride 3-8k in the summer so I jet for that) so it tends to overheat on the low elevation trails. Make sure your jetting is correct.

I have seen some people like the EVANS coolant, it has a higher boiling point. I haven't tried it yet... sounds like I should get a thermometer before I do that to make sure I don't cook my bike. Although my old XR's would climb above 325F sometimes, but they were tanks

What makes the Tusk cap a better choice, and how is it different from the stock one. thanks

It raises the boiling point.

HOWEVER, if you engine is running hot, then this will do nothing so cure it. It will only raise the boiling point of the water, making it boil over less.

You need to re-jet your engine, un-cork the exhaust and intake, which will also give you the benefit of running better.

What makes the Tusk cap a better choice, and how is it different from the stock one. thanks

It raises the BOIL OVER POINT, the Tusk cap holds more pressure than the stock one.

It is not going to make the bike run cooler, it is just going to take more pressure/heat before

boiling over/pushing past the cap . Just buys a little more time before fluid loss.

personally, I would not change the pressure cap, especially when I know there is an overheating issue. Better to tune it up and put fresh coolant. Have you flushed the radiator yet?