Radiator Braces -- 2010 YZ450F

I recently purchased a 2010 yz450f and was looking at radiator braces for it. I found many different brands and styles. I was looking more at the works connection or GYTR ones, but there are so many I dont know what to get. What do you guys think is the best radiator brace and which one will offer the most protection?

I thought at one time Works Connection and GYTR were the same, but they appear to be different now. I had the Works Connection on my bike for about a year, they are junk in my opinion. I had more problems with bent radiators than I've ever had before. I had to pound the braces back into shape several times because they bent in a crash. Not worth the $ in my opinion, there are better choices out there. I'm running without braces now and with aftermarket radiators.

Edited by luckyguy19
  • Like 1

I searched around before buying and the majority of opinions were the Works Conx and GYTR were wasted money.

I ended up buying Enduro Engineering guards and they so far have been pretty good. Early on I dropped the bike on a nasty hillclimb and the first row on the radiator got pushed in a tad. The guard bounced right back and is straight and the radiator still works. I guess it did it's job and in the end they're there to save you on the trail or allow you to finish the race and not protect the rads from any tweak from every drop or crash. Although, I have dropped the bike many times since that one and no other damage has occurred to either side.

The GYTR has such an aggressive bend it in already when you fall it just pancakes. I would not recommend. It was fairly easy to bend back in the vise. I think something more straight would be better. but maybe there is no room..

I think anything that is routed behinde the radiator hose is going to fold easily, its already bending the wrong direction. If it were routed around the outside of the hose it would be much stronger...

Looks like the Emperor Racing guards route around the back side of the hoses. IF it means anything, I prefer radiator guards that still allow the use of the stock radiator louvers. I feel that they help with cooling. Or at least do not hinder the flow of air over the rads. If you're riding MX it may not a big deal but most people that want good radiator protection ride off road and will ride very slowly over nasty terrain for extended periods of time. My bike has never boiled over, but I've also never ridden it in the summer heat. Only a few more months and we'll find out. I may be adding a cooling fan if that happens.

Like I said I'm pleased with the Enduro Engineering Guards. I think they are also the same as Moose Racing Guards too. Price was good, they seem to work well.

Looks like the Emperor Racing guards route around the back side of the hoses. IF it means anything, I prefer radiator guards that still allow the use of the stock radiator louvers. I feel that they help with cooling. Or at least do not hinder the flow of air over the rads. If you're riding MX it may not a big deal but most people that want good radiator protection ride off road and will ride very slowly over nasty terrain for extended periods of time. My bike has never boiled over, but I've also never ridden it in the summer heat. Only a few more months and we'll find out. I may be adding a cooling fan if that happens.

Like I said I'm pleased with the Enduro Engineering Guards. I think they are also the same as Moose Racing Guards too. Price was good, they seem to work well.

look at the Emperor racing frames not guards they are like the Moose Racing ones but with a brace on them. You can still use the stock plastic radiator Louvers Edited by luvnoldcars

These are the ones I'm referring to.

I don't own these yet so I can give a review but they look strong.

Those Emp frames look really stout. They are also $50-$60 more than I paid, but look like they could be worth it. I do like to tie the outside of the radiator to the frame. It helps in those times that the radiator slides along the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Works Connection braces, but after a small crash they and one radiator were bent. The Works Connection braces went in the trash and the radiator went to Myler's. I then put on the Scorpion cage/braces. They are much more stout and secure. I did manage to bend one, tipping over on some slick rock (5 Miles of Hell ride in Utah). I'm sure the Works Connection or GYTR braces would have done nothing. I was able to straighten the Scorpions. The radiator was not damaged, only the brace extending past the radiator. I have been very pleased with them, and would recommend them to anyone. I also like the fact that the stock louvers are used.

I have the Scorpion (Emperor) Racing braces and skid plate and they're better than anything I've seen in person. Other YZ450 riders are constantly asking me about them. I cut my louvers a bit to fit them, but otherwise they mounted up perfectly and don't interfere with anything.