HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D-rek07

Boots rubbing paint off frame

14 posts in this topic

Obviously this is only for '06 and earlier but I need help. I have a 2006 WR450F. My boots are rubbing the paint off the outsides of the frame. As of right now, I put gorilla tape over it to stop this but it looks kind of dumb. Has anyone else had this problem and did you anything to fix it? Thank you.

Edited by D-rek07

Is the issue that you don't want to see any wear marks on your frame?

If so, you can purchase 'frame guards' from several manf, like Litespeed, works performance , etc.

I just threw away my frame guards for my '03 cause I could not even give them away on Ebay......

I don't want the paint to be worn off. I have the frame guards but I mean on the part above the frame guards. I have seen some pictures of these models that are still covered by paint.

Edited by D-rek07

It's a dirtbike! It's not a Museum Showpiece. While I concern myself with a good looking bike, trying to keep the frame paint from rubbing off is very, very low on my list of importance.

It's a dirtbike! It's not a Museum Showpiece. While I concern myself with a good looking bike, trying to keep the frame paint from rubbing off is very, very low on my list of importance.

I'm not so concerned with what it looks like, but I don't want the bare metal to rust. Some of it has already rusted. Right now, after I wash it, I have been putting WD40 on all the bare metal parts. I don't really want to keep doing this.

It looks like UFO used to make some big plastic frame gaurds that went much higher up on the frame than most others. Some people use rubber from an old innertube wrapped and zip tied onto the frame.

If her boots rub the paint off then they aughta rub the rust off too. Real bikes look tough like they been beat with a hammer anyway

I'm not so concerned with what it looks like, but I don't want the bare metal to rust. Some of it has already rusted. Right now, after I wash it, I have been putting WD40 on all the bare metal parts. I don't really want to keep doing this.

It's Cro-moly steel, so it will only rust superficially.

Oh, and every single one of us here have the same problem.......it's solved by DRYING OFF YOUR BIKE after you wash it.

WR450 002.JPGWR450 004.JPG

Like Lucas said, UFO use to make some frame protectors, and still might. While the right side mounts right up, the left side needs some trimming to make it fit well. This is what I did to my '06. Just be aware that while your boots will no longer rub the frame paint off, the frame guards will instead. You won't be able to see it, but it's still happening. Like Krannie said, it's only superficial anyhow.

It's Cro-moly steel, so it will only rust superficially.

Oh, and every single one of us here have the same problem.......it's solved by DRYING OFF YOUR BIKE after you wash it.

Off course I dry it off. It had some rust on it when I bought it.

Edited by D-rek07

I don't want the paint to be worn off. I have the frame guards but I mean on the part above the frame guards. I have seen some pictures of these models that are still covered by paint.

Here is a picture of my 05 before I sold it like a damn fool! :cry:

See above those frame guards??? What you see there is a piece of hose I got from home depot. If I remember correctly, its the hose that goes to a dishwasher or a garbage disposal. I cut it and zip tied it to the frame. Paint doesn't run off anymore. Any piece of black hose will do.

054BikeFinal01.jpg

Edited by mauricedorris

if you have intact paint or decide to repaint it, you can cover it with the clear plastic adhesive film they use for headlight covers. You can buy it as bulk film. You'll probably need to get it to wrap most of the way around the frame tube so it doesn't peel up from the edge.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm

I've also painted a street bike in this area with rattle can truck bed liner. It held up fine to easy street riding but not sure how it would do with mud and mx boots.

-Mike