my drz keeps stalling out on me. help

So I recently bought a 2007 drz sm. Its been to cold to rie it until today. I take it around the block and it dies on me. Had to push it home. Thought it ran out of gas, so I fill it up and ride it around the block again. Again it stalls on me. I moved the petcok to res and it fires after a few cranks and I drive it home. So basicaly the bike will run for a few minutes while driving and all the sudden just die. no warning. Move the fuel selector from where it is to a different setting and it will start and run for a few more minutes. Any Idea on what this. I just dont want to spend a gran at the ealer having them figure it out. mods are yosh pipe, fcr carb, e model base gasket, 3x3 mod and I think thats all. Thanks in advance

So I recently bought a 2007 drz sm. Its been to cold to rie it until today. I take it around the block and it dies on me. Had to push it home. Thought it ran out of gas, so I fill it up and ride it around the block again. Again it stalls on me. I moved the petcok to res and it fires after a few cranks and I drive it home. So basicaly the bike will run for a few minutes while driving and all the sudden just die. no warning. Move the fuel selector from where it is to a different setting and it will start and run for a few more minutes. Any Idea on what this. I just dont want to spend a gran at the ealer having them figure it out. mods are yosh pipe, fcr carb, e model base gasket, 3x3 mod and I think thats all. Thanks in advance

Check the oil to see if it's contaminated with gas.

how long since you rode it? Maybe a blocked jet. If you crank it and it starts then dies it might be getting enough fuel in to fill the float and thats it until it runs out and dies. Not sure but just an idea

It would be the first time for me to ride it. It has been sitting all winter long, with the exception of me starting it and running it twice.

I will check tomorrow and see if gas is in the oil. What would it mean if it does? Bad rings?

Bad fuel petcock. If you still have the vacumm petcock, they tent to go bad and let fuel flow to the carb, which then goes in to the cylinder and leaks past the pistion rings and into the oil. If you have a manual petcock and leave it on the same can happen. The bike will start then when it gets warm the gas in the oil will turn to vapor and get sucked into the air box making the bike run super rich and stall until it cools down.

I would check that first, then go from there.

Bad fuel petcock. If you still have the vacumm petcock, they tent to go bad and let fuel flow to the carb, which then goes in to the cylinder and leaks past the pistion rings and into the oil. If you have a manual petcock and leave it on the same can happen. The bike will start then when it gets warm the gas in the oil will turn to vapor and get sucked into the air box making the bike run super rich and stall until it cools down.

I would check that first, then go from there.

I beliee its the stock one that came with the bike. The kid told me it woul only run on one positionand something about no resere,or something like that. I cant remember exactly. What would be the fix?

And this may be a dumb question... how do I check to see if it has gas in the oil? Do I drain it or is thier another way?

If it will start, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, stand it up stright, remove the oil dip stick & check the level & smell the oil. If it won't start smell the dip stick.

I really like having clear fuel lines so I can see if I have fuel.

If it will start, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, stand it up stright, remove the oil dip stick & check the level & smell the oil. If it won't start smell the dip stick.

I really like having clear fuel lines so I can see if I have fuel.

Im starting to think its not fuel leaking down. The only reason is that it will idle all day long if I let it. But I will check tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for all the help

So I checked the bike today. Tried to start it and the battery was dead(no battery charger). It did crank for a few turns. I opened up the oil smelled the dipstick and it doesnt smell like just oil. I checked the petcock it has 3 settings on, pri and reserve. Do they make a better petcock that has an off setting? Also what does the vacum nipple that comes with the tt fcr install kit do? And how do I know if my bike has it installed?

yes my bike would do this when it is running rich. better petcock would be a non-vacuum (gravity) petcock. this one has an off setting. not sure about the vacuum nipple on the carb.

Any Idea where to get a gravity feed petcock? It just seems like a better way to go

I beliee its the stock one that came with the bike. The kid told me it woul only run on one positionand something about no resere,or something like that. I cant remember exactly. What would be the fix?

Sounds to me like you have the vacuum petcock with no vacuum going to it. If you set it to PRI it will flow without the vacuum signal (don't forget to set it to on or res when the engine isn't running). When set to PRI there is no reserve and the tank will drain until it is empty. The WR 400 petcock will fit and I believe I've read where another yamaha model petcock will also fit.

If you have the vacuum nipple from the FCR kit you can put it on and have a vacuum port for the petcock. It replaces one of the two bolts in the head/intake runner (just after the carb). Not sure if it matters which one to replace. If it matters hopefully someone will chime in and tell you which one.

Edit: in post #4 of this thread there is a picture of the two bolts I'm talking about. https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1005845-swapping-carbs-where-did-my-vent-go/page__hl__+carb%20+vent#entry10559724

Edited by npm
  • Like 1

Sounds to me like you have the vacuum petcock with no vacuum going to it. If you set it to PRI it will flow without the vacuum signal (don't forget to set it to on or res when the engine isn't running). When set to PRI there is no reserve and the tank will drain until it is empty. The WR 400 petcock will fit and I believe I've read where another yamaha model petcock will also fit.

If you have the vacuum nipple from the FCR kit you can put it on and have a vacuum port for the petcock. It replaces one of the two bolts in the head/intake runner (just after the carb). Not sure if it matters which one to replace. If it matters hopefully someone will chime in and tell you which one.

Edit: in post #4 of this thread there is a picture of the two bolts I'm talking about. http://www.thumperta...t#entry10559724

What you said about the petcock sounds like what the kid told me when I bought it.

So setting it to reserve or on is where it should be when its not running? Prime when it is or just leave it on or reserve?

What you said about the petcock sounds like what the kid told me when I bought it.

So setting it to reserve or on is where it should be when its not running? Prime when it is or just leave it on or reserve?

Pri to run, any other setting to shut off fuel. Get a yamaha (manual) petcock, search and you'll find what ya need.