Cracked my radiator which aftermarket to buy? 2003 WR450F

Went riding at st Joe state park yesterday hit a tree between brush guard and front wheel. Cracked my OEM rh radiator on my 2003 wr450f. The OEM looks like it is real week or poorly built. Some after market ones on eBay look a lot stronger. Any thoughts on which one to get. Some say oversized. Will these still fit the plastic that mounts to it. 1362929742710.jpg1362934706034.jpg1362934741620.jpg

Quite often those aftermarket radiators don't fit very well at all. You can usually "tweak" them to make them fit, but it's almost always very difficult to make radiator guards fit them. They usually are more robustly built though. The choice is yours. I prefer to run the OEM's with radiator guards, as everything lines up correctly.

If you have time to wait, Its worth it to check with Mylers in Utah for repairs. I took mine there when I lived in Salt lake and I was blown away with what they were able to fix. Despite being thin, the oem rads are definitely better quality than any of the knock offs. Thinner, higher quality materials are more likely to bend than break, and tolerate repairs.

-Mike

Went riding at st Joe state park yesterday hit a tree between brush guard and front wheel. Cracked my OEM rh radiator on my 2003 wr450f. The OEM looks like it is real week or poorly built. Some after market ones on eBay look a lot stronger. Any thoughts on which one to get. Some say oversized. Will these still fit the plastic that mounts to it. 1362929742710.jpg1362934706034.jpg1362934741620.jpg

Mylers can perform magic with radiators. That being said, after I had my radiators repaired 3x, I bought a set of Fluidyne Radiators a few years ago and they seem to be top quality. I did not have any fit issues with my rad guards, but I can't remember the brand for the life of me. They're the ones that have an angular brace that goes back on an angle from the outer edge and attaches to the engine mount below the gas tank.

• Like 1

If I had to buy them I would want the welded seam type. A mate bought some for his YZ450f, although not the same bike they are the same quality. He bought THESE from eBay shipped from Melbourne AU. He had no problem with fitment either, just bolt straight on.

Oh, HERE is a link for WR450 radiators from the same eBay seller

Edited by Barra8

Purchased a set off ebay for 85.00 and a set of blue hoses. The radiators fit ok. The only thing was the top tube that connects the two radiators through the frame dont line up the best had to bend the tubes up so they would line up with the whole in the frame for the hose to connect them. The plastic fit just fine. I was not able to use two of the new blue hoses because they were to short1363652879394.jpg

These photos are of the new radiators installed

1363652944333.jpg

1363652966855.jpg

1363652998948.jpg

1363653031807.jpg

1363653066805.jpg

1363653091313.jpg

1363653116488.jpg

• 10 months later...

Purchased a set off ebay for 85.00 and a set of blue hoses. The radiators fit ok. The only thing was the top tube that connects the two radiators through the frame dont line up the best had to bend the tubes up so they would line up with the whole in the frame for the hose to connect them. The plastic fit just fine. I was not able to use two of the new blue hoses because they were to short📎1363652879394.jpg

These photos are of the new radiators installed

Did you get these from GPI Racing? I bought a set from them for my 04 and could only get the left side mounted, the through frame tube alignment was not even close. Plus the only two of the radiator mounts would line up. Right side will not go in without significant modification, my buddy welds aluminum and suggested I bring it to him for proper fitting. 

By the way, the units themselves are very well built and bike does run cooler even with just one side installed, fitment is another issue.

Rich

• 3 years later...
On 2014-1-31 at 3:27 PM, MXCRFDAD said:

just an update.  I have been running these radiators now for about a year and they work great.  my son is riding my 450 now more than me and he is hard on it.  these sure work great.

Can you still remember where you found these? Mine are bend 25% but still no leaks ? summer is comming and i need 100% cooling or it wil cook. 

They look great and very robust. It's seems easy to place reinforcement bars horizontal so they won't cave in like an accordion. (sorry for my English level)