HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
counteru

2012 YZ450F TDC

3 posts in this topic

I need verification that I have my bike at correct position in order to check my valve clearances. Everything I read and seen shows the cam lobes to be pointed away from each other. I am thinking that since the exhaust and intake cams are reversed on these newer yz f's that the lobes should be pointing toward each other. Is that correct? I have rotated the engine counter clockwise many times and lined up my cams for TDC , and my timing mark, according to the manual and each time I make the correct alignment the lobes are pointing toward each other. Pic below:

img0124kf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, ya I think I have it right.... 35 hours on the bike and the valves are still @ spec clearances btw. That is if I have the cam lobes right :excuseme:

I knew this would happen eventually. :smirk:

With the old engine (Gen 1 & 2), the exhaust cam was in front, and at TDC on the compression stroke, it points forward and up. The opposite is true of the intake; it was in back, and points rearward and up at TDC on compression. Away from each other.

Now, have the cams switch places. See?

Ya I worked on a lot of older models but not on any of these newer ones! Just wanted Clarification! Thanks