KTM 300 xc vs xc-w

Can someone tell me the difference in the way the 300 KTM's ride and handle? Power, handling and all around how the perform compared to each other. I'm thinking about getting a new our almost new 300.

Easiest bike in the world to ride. They have great hit, but totally manageable. The newer the 300, the better as each generation is an improvement over the prior.

To the uninitiated, you'll probably not notice much difference between the XC and the XCW, but there are some big differences such as tranny gearing and suspension...I have 2 300 XCWs and love em both.

I have a 530 exc now. Got it for the tag but all the forest service roads I used to ride are closed down now so I just want a lighter bike that still had that wide smooth power. I know a 300 might not be as wide of a power spread but I used to own a husky 360. Loved the grunt and power that bike had too. I have rode a couple 300 KTM and they are much like the 360 but maybe not as low end power. So I guess my real question is. Which has more low end or is that ray to change. And can you tell a difference in the suspension in the xc and the xc-w? And if you can tell what is the difference? I like to ride fast flowing but a lot of the time I ride it is on tighter single trak.

How do they feel? When you ride them how do they feel diferent from each other? Does one like to turn better, does one like speed better does one track straighter in rough trails does one jump better? this is what i want to know. also power, is one smother or more aggresive then th other. what is the difference in how they ride?

Check out this months Dirt Bike magazine if you can. They have a comparison between the KTM 300xc and the Husaberg TE300. As the article points out, the Husaberg is basically a refined KTM xc-w and goes on to explain in detail much of the characteristics that serarate the two models. My general take was that if I was considering an xc-w, I would now be considering the TE! Funny how that works.

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents:

Either 300 when compared to your 530 is going to feel 50 pounds lighter with only a slight loss in power (torque), but that's made up because of the lighter weight. The key here is that you are admitting that you will be riding mostly single track and because of that I would get the XC-w as it's suspension is set up more for that. I personally have not ridden a 2 stroke XC (linked rear suspension) but from what I've read the XC-w's PDS does a better job of soaking up single track hack (rocks, tree roots, etc.).

Power wise the XC has more of a hit where as the XC-w is more linear, but as you know everything from either one will fit the other, so there's no reason to compare power from the XC to the XC-w.

Thank you, that was the kind of information I was looking for. The xc-w will be smother on single track so I will probably like it better. I imagine it can still handle a day on a track I hope. Even my 530 with stock suspension it good on a fairly ready track with good but not huge jumps. I'm guessing the xc-w might be more stable on rocky trails too? My 530 is awesome at accelerating through rough rocky terrain. I'm sure better then a 2 stroke could ever be but I don't want to looser to much of that stability.

Thank you, that was the kind of information I was looking for. The xc-w will be smother on single track so I will probably like it better. I imagine it can still handle a day on a track I hope. Even my 530 with stock suspension it good on a fairly ready track with good but not huge jumps. I'm guessing the xc-w might be more stable on rocky trails too? My 530 is awesome at accelerating through rough rocky terrain. I'm sure better then a 2 stroke could ever be but I don't want to looser to much of that stability.

Don't buy a 2t then if your worried about stability. You 530 is a tank compared to a 300 and won't easily be knocked of its line. A 300 will bounce around over rocky terrain....

I also have a 250 2 stroke gas gas. I just wish it had a wider power spread. I think the 300's do. At least the very little time I had on the ones I rode did. I like the 2 stroke much better when I race a course that is not open.

I think the 300 XCW is the bike for you. Yes the suspension is softer than the XC, the gearing is a little different, 1st is a little lower, and its a little gappier, but the 300 has the HP to pull it just fine. If you are doing single track, the W is the way to go. Now there's nothing wrong with the XC, I just feel the XCW would suit your needs better.

Here's my 2 cents:

The key here is that you are admitting that you will be riding mostly single track and because of that I would get the XC-w as it's suspension is set up more for that. I personally have not ridden a 2 stroke XC (linked rear suspension) but from what I've read the XC-w's PDS does a better job of soaking up single track hack (rocks, tree roots, etc.).

Power wise the XC has more of a hit where as the XC-w is more linear, but as you know everything from either one will fit the other, so there's no reason to compare power from the XC to the XC-w.

I have owned both and the XC's suspension is a little bit stiffer, but it is still very plush. I would not make a decision on one bike or the other based on the plushness of the suspension. The XC and the XC-W have same motor, CDI, etc....there is zero difference in power delivery between the two bikes.

I think most would feel more difference in the front end rather than the rear end as far as woods riding goes. I have ridden a 300 xc and I own 2 300 XCW's an 08 and a 13. The XC forks are more suited for high speed, whoops and the like. If I have had one issue with my 13 it would be the forks. I have had to go way up on my compression and rebound dampening on my forks but I seem to have finally gotten them figured out. The first two rounds of the NEPG's have both been super fast courses with tons of whooped out sections that have taken there toll on my soft settings. Finally in the last test of round two I got the clickers right and I finally felt like I was going at a legitimate speed through the sandy whoops of South Carolina. But I was wore out from fighting the forks in the first several tests and I still got beat...

I really think both bikes are awesome, I chose the W for the wide ratio transmission and I like the simple PDS system, plus I think the 13 with the lights look cool...lol

But if you get a W and you ride fast and hard you will have to do some suspension tuning to get it right. Actually I think my 08 forks that have been revalved are a little better right now. I may have to get the 13 revalved sooner than later and I had hoped not to have to do that. I would not think that would be rquired on the XC. But as far as the rear goes the 13 is awesome stock, just had to spring it for my weight to get the sags where the manual says they should be. The bike turns like crazy, I can take any line I want which helps me when passing, I can go inside or out in corners and get around guys quickly, unlike my 200 where it seemed all I could do was follow and wait for them to pullover or screw up...

That's not an oil level, it's an amount. Do you happen to know what the actual oil height was from top of the tube?

The forks on my '13 300 XC sucked until I got about 10 hours on them and dropped the oil level to 330cc's.

Edited by Trailryder42