To oil or not on your O or X ring chain

I stand corrected!!! I knew what I meant!!!! :p

. Ya I know what you were saying I just took it as down or smaller in gear ratio. I was thinking 51 54 for 15 and 16 that should lower it a little for the woods without completely loosing the top for the road.

My feeling is that the stock flimsy piece of aluminum doesn't stand much of a chance at saving your cases in the case of a chain failure, and becomes even weaker when modded to allow a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. I take the stocker off and trace it out onto a piece of stainless steel and then cut/grind it to the size needed to allow a 16 tooth to fit. It's pretty easy to do, and makes that piece substantially stronger. Of course, then the weakness is the mounting bolts & where they mount into the cases but I just live with that for now, as I've never had any damage yet.

yeah I have thought about that.. but I modded my XR650L the same way and it took a chain blowing off at 40mph.

anything over a 52 or 53 tooth rear and you will have chain guide problems. I would run 16/52.

You should have some serious top end with 16-52.

This is what a guy who is in the chain and sprocket business tells me:

I asked specifically for the chain he sold me, a Regina Z-Ring. I bought that one because it is, supposedly, "longest lasting chain in the market" (we´ll see about that)

"The ZRE chain is super high end, it really does not need much maintenance at all, in fact lubing it constantly may be more harmful than good. You do not want to use any kind of lube that is sticky or tacky. Doing so will stick dirt/sand to it and that will accelerate wear to the o-rings. Using some kind of lube that either dries or is very slippery and does not stick dirt to the chain is OK and recommended.

When those chains are made at the factory, there is a press-fit bushing which is filled with grease, this chamber encases each pin and is hidden under your rollers. This sealed chamber basically holds the grease in for the life of the chain. So, what you want to do is protect the o-rings as much as possible. When the rings wear, they allow dirt/sand to work by them which then produces wear on the pins below. Bottom line is, no you do not need to go crazy with lube on that chain at all. I like to use Tri-Flo on mine, this is a spray Teflon, it is very slippery and does not stick dirt to the chain. I will also use WD-40 as well, this is more to protect against rust after washing it than much in the way of lubing properties. There are some other lubes on the market that are very good, just make sure whatever you like to use is recommended for o-ring chains. If it is sticking dirt/sand to your chain I would find something else.

Also, be careful with any wire brushes and/or pressure washers. They are OK to use, but try to not hit the o-rings directly, you do not want to damage them. "

This oppinion matches many of the prevously posted: only WD40, more for rust than for lube.

great info thanks!

You should have some serious top end with 16-52.

I topped out at 104mph on my speedo gauge.

That is moving right along is in't it!

104!

I buy alot of chain for my business and the company rep told me you'd be better off pissing on it then using chain lube.

It attracts dirt and can't get past the o-rings.

Chain lube companies reccomend chain lube because they sell chain lube.

I topped out at 104mph on my speedo gauge.

I don't need any where near that top speed. The fastest I have ever gone on the trails here is 53mph and that was a peak on the GPS graph for less than 5 sec.we just don't have any open trails. :( On the lake I have hit the top speed of 93 mph at the rev lim and that is fine. ;) I'm sure if I tried that on the road they would make sure that I would not ride for a while. :foul: They are really cracking down on the speed factor for bikes around here, and if they want to look real close they could find a thing or too to say my bike is not road legal. :devil:

This is what a guy who is in the chain and sprocket business tells me:

I asked specifically for the chain he sold me, a Regina Z-Ring. I bought that one because it is, supposedly, "longest lasting chain in the market" (we´ll see about that)

"The ZRE chain is super high end, it really does not need much maintenance at all, in fact lubing it constantly may be more harmful than good. You do not want to use any kind of lube that is sticky or tacky. Doing so will stick dirt/sand to it and that will accelerate wear to the o-rings. Using some kind of lube that either dries or is very slippery and does not stick dirt to the chain is OK and recommended.

When those chains are made at the factory, there is a press-fit bushing which is filled with grease, this chamber encases each pin and is hidden under your rollers. This sealed chamber basically holds the grease in for the life of the chain. So, what you want to do is protect the o-rings as much as possible. When the rings wear, they allow dirt/sand to work by them which then produces wear on the pins below. Bottom line is, no you do not need to go crazy with lube on that chain at all. I like to use Tri-Flo on mine, this is a spray Teflon, it is very slippery and does not stick dirt to the chain. I will also use WD-40 as well, this is more to protect against rust after washing it than much in the way of lubing properties. There are some other lubes on the market that are very good, just make sure whatever you like to use is recommended for o-ring chains. If it is sticking dirt/sand to your chain I would find something else.

Also, be careful with any wire brushes and/or pressure washers. They are OK to use, but try to not hit the o-rings directly, you do not want to damage them. "

This oppinion matches many of the prevously posted: only WD40, more for rust than for lube.

Nice job .....I like the fish oil (WD) for removing the water also.

Be careful where you use WD and how much you use. It removes grease very quickly, is that really what you want to do to your o-ring chain. Yes, it will penetrate the orings, not good. Just wipe the chain with a rag to remove the moisture after washing.

How does WD-40 penetrate o-rings?

it doesn't

the lube is sealed inside the chain by the o-rings

you just need to keep the o-rings moist to prevent wear, as they chain bends round the sprockets, the o/x-rings rub on the chain side plates

also a severely rusted chain can rip/damage the o-rings and let the lube get washed out

If YHGEORGE says it, it has to be true.

He is a very smart man.

The Richard Cranium of TT.

I do wonder if WD-40 is that good of a penetrater how it doesn't leak out of the spray can.

Ended up going with a 15/52. I'll see how that works once I get the rest of the rest of the bike back in proper order.

Not to butt in on this thread but I run o-ring chains ONLY,use Lithium grease after cleaning & wipe any excess off & leave to dry before riding.

15661_510304482336361_1627693575_n.jpg

Not to butt in on this thread but I run o-ring chains ONLY,use Lithium grease after cleaning & wipe any excess off & leave to dry before riding.

15661_510304482336361_1627693575_n.jpg

You don't find that it collects dirt with that. I have also heard good things about spray silicone

If left to dry it doesn't seem to collect too much dirt,but if I use too much it can be a problem. I spray it on after riding,leaving it ages to dry though. The main reason that I use this is that it protects the o-rings & also extends the life of the sprockets.

Silicone spray is good also,but doesn't seem to last as long,or be as effective. Just my ''take'' on it though.