Best tires for my 2012 wr?

Yes i did a search.. What are the best most aggressive tires for my bike?? Can i go wider? Or should i?? I am tearing up my rear tire pretty quick with all the power this bike has. The place i ride has lots of rocks, loose sandy dirt, and a shit ton of thorns also.

What tire pressure should i be running? I have noticed under even 3/4 throttle all this bike does is either spin the crap out of the tire or wheelie while spinning the crap out of the tire.. I would like to be able to wheelie with more control over the bike. If i want to do a nice long wheelie i usually have to do it in 4th gear where the bike does not have so much raw power.

By the way i love the power and i am not complaining about that.

Thks

Well, without knowing what width tire your currently running, I can only speculate, but yes I would think you can run a wider tire than stock. But if your going to be "ham-fisted" with the throttle, you won't find any tire that will last long.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Lol thks

Tires are like oil: it' pretty hard to go wrong, unless you make some real bone-head decisions.

If you go to the website of a manf, you can learn a lot.

I like the Dunlop MX71 for the rear, and Maxiss Desert IT for the front.

Maxiss Desert IT comes in 140/100 for the rear, and works fantastic in the desert, but does not last.

I tried going one tire size larger in the rear of my WR426 and didn't particularly like it. The side knobs of my Michelin S12 seemed to chunk really badly, which is because they hit the chain (which was new, and properly adjusted for tension). I feel like the standard size is a little more agile, but that may be a false perception because I had my suspension done for the 2nd time when I swapped back to the stock width so it is more likely due to that.

If you ride sandy/loose/soft terrain, give the Michelin S12's or the Dunlop Geomax MX31's a try. The S12's seem to be the most popular here in Michigan, for both 4 and 2 strokes of all sizes.

I have been told by a couple of tire shops that the "Mitas C-02 Stoneking" is a really hard wearing tire, with fairly good hookup too, but a bit on the expensive side.

I-C7209 by CST. Great front tire! especially on a budget

Dunlop 739 FA on the front and Maxxis Desert IT on the rear. i run a 130 on the rear. I run about 30% on asphalt the rest is on varied terrain from sand to roots, swamp to hard pack, and I am happy with the way they wear and the grip for the most part. However everyone rides differently even if on the same terrain. Unless you only ride the same track in the exact same conditions you will have to compromise. I have tried what my friends use in the same trails and didn't like them. I asked on here for everybody prefers and then went out and looked at them and tried some of them out. I have settled on what I have now. One key that i found is that tires are consumables if you don't like the ones you have don't worry it won't be long till you have to buy another set. Good luck on your tire selection.

yeah, Maxxis Desert IT is really good. Going to try a terrorflex.

I run Desert IT rear bombproof. 0psi rear, 5psi front, and the hook up really well. but you need Tubliss to run low. Going to run Motoz front

Edited by n16ht5

Our trails are a mixture of sand and clay with some pure sand areas. I've used a lot of different tires including S-12's, M-12's, Maxxis IT, MX51 that appear to be popular choices. I haven't found any tire that works better than the Pirelli XCMS, especially the front. The only problem is the side knobs on the front tire tend to chunk in cold weather and generally only last about 800 - 1200 miles of hard use. That's ok with me because the safety and performance that this tire offers is well worth the cost. The front sticks like no other I've used and the back is better than most rears I've used, including S-12's. What makes the front tire so good is the soft-terrain design along with a tighter spacing of knobs which puts more rubber on the ground. These tires are also very good in the rocks but will wear out faster than a hard-terrain tire. I would not use them for pavement. Do a search on google. It's hard to find anything but good reviews on this tire.

Edited by Navaho6

yeah, Maxxis Desert IT is really good. Going to try a Sedona next, or maybe a terrorflex.

I run Dunlop D908RR front, Desert IT rear or D739 . bombproof. 0psi rear, 5psi front, and the hook up really well. but you need Tubliss to run low

I have Tubliss on my WR, but I've not gone as low pressure as you mention. I've seen some of your videos, so know you ride some gnarly trails at good speed - are these rides done with 0 psi rear all the time or do you vary it? The only time I had 0 psi in the rear was when I had a flat last fall; road my bike out 15 miles to the trail head, then 15 miles pavement to home, seemed a little squirrely in the back.

Edited by drdanbozeman

yeah 0psi whenever I trail ride. you need a desert tire though or it will act squirely. Make sure you put atleast 4oz of slime in the tires though

Tires are like oil: it' pretty hard to go wrong, unless you make some real bone-head decisions.

Maxiss Desert IT comes in 140/100 for the rear, and works fantastic in the desert, but does not last.

I run the desert it and it does last actually, got 4000 km out of it

That is exactly the opposite of what I would do. The MX 71 tire (soft compound for hard terrain) works best on the WR front as the Big WR need help turning and the rear well there is nothing that will last a long time in the back. with that said the Maaxis will last the longest by far but sometimes I get discouraged when I have this half worn rear tire back there that just won't quite die!

That is exactly the opposite of what I would do. The MX 71 tire (soft compound for hard terrain) works best on the WR front as the Big WR need help turning and the rear well there is nothing that will last a long time in the back. with that said the Maaxis will last the longest by far but sometimes I get discouraged when I have this half worn rear tire back there that just won't quite die!

When my maxxis is half worn I flip it around. Then when I feel I have lost enough traction on it that way I cut the knobs so I have a sharp edge on both sides and front after that is done it is time for new.

Here in the CA deserts I have been happy wth the Dunlop MX71 120/90-18 rear and the Pirelli XCMH 80/100-21 front. I have also run the Dunlop 952 on the rear and it worked well too but I prefer the MX71.

yeah, Maxxis Desert IT is really good. Going to try a Sedona next, or maybe a terrorflex.

I run Dunlop D908RR front, Desert IT rear or D739 . bombproof. 0psi rear, 5psi front, and the hook up really well. but you need Tubliss to run low

Does this offer better traction than most rear trials tires? I've been running tubliss since I saw your video on youtube :thumbsup: