DIrtbike roof rack

hi, i am planning on going on a dirtbike trip with my father this summer to go to colorado, california, florida, nevada etc. For this trip we have a fith wheel and a pick up and we want to build a roof rack on the truck to put the 2 dirtbikes on. i would like to know if anyone had ever heard or try something like that or have any idea on for this project.

Putting two bikes on the back of the hauler may take too much tongue weight away. You might want to put a front receiver on the truck and put 1 bike on the front of the truck (cooling could be a problem, but it's been done), and the other bike on the back of the trailer.

I too can't see putting bikes on a roof rack, just seems excessively difficult to load/unload. Depending what you are driving it's likely at least 76" tall at the roof. As for overall height - A strapped down bike is about 48" tall. You'd likely have a few inches between the tuck roof and rack, lets say 3". So that's 127", or 10'7". I think most 5th wheel campers are the better part of 12 ft, so the bikes wouldn't be the limiting factor (assuming you aren't rocking a lifted 1 ton on 49's or something).

Putting two bikes on the back of the hauler may take too much tongue weight away. You might want to put a front receiver on the truck and put 1 bike on the front of the truck (cooling could be a problem, but it's been done), and the other bike on the back of the trailer.

I too can't see putting bikes on a roof rack, just seems excessively difficult to load/unload. Depending what you are driving it's likely at least 76" tall at the roof. As for overall height - A strapped down bike is about 48" tall. You'd likely have a few inches between the tuck roof and rack, lets say 3". So that's 127", or 10'7". I think most 5th wheel campers are the better part of 12 ft, so the bikes wouldn't be the limiting factor (assuming you aren't rocking a lifted 1 ton on 49's or something).

yeah the truck is a f-150 with the HD package so the height, as you said, isnt a problem. the loading may be the problem

I have to agree with everyone that suggested against the roof rack. If nothing else, you would have to unhook the trailer every time you needed to ramp the bikes up or down into the bed of the truck. I would first try the hitch mount bike carrier at the back of the trailer. It seems that 450-500 additional lbs at the rear of the trailer wouldn't adversely affect the trailer's tongue weight. If it did, load all the gear at the front of the trailer and that should remedy that problem.

My 4" lifted Silverado on 35s has to have 7 ft. of overhead clearance. Adding bikes on an over the cab rack would have it pushing 12 ft of required clearance. I don't think I would want to take that risk-especially with my bikes. Think about drive through ATMs, fast food restaurants, etc. They typically only have 8-9 ft of vertical clearance.

To the guys worried about drive-thru clearance : How often do you tow a 5th wheel thru a drive-thru?

I'd be more worried about stability after adding 500 lbs above the cab.

This is a very valid and more realistic concern that I am in agreement with.

yeah the truck is a f-150 with the HD package so the height, as you said, isnt a problem. the loading may be the problem

Aren't you already pushing the limits of that truck with a 5th wheel? I understand their are some 5th wheel trailers out there that are light enough for a half ton but their right at the limits of them. I would not be putting anymore weight on the truck. And putting a double bike hauler in the back seems like a bad idea. That's a lot of tail weight and I'm not sure if your camper frame is built for that kind of weight.

HOLD MY BEER, watch this......

Dude. You asking for a disaster.

To all those saying use a hitch hauler on the back of the trailer. If you read the warnings/instructions that come with these type haulers they all say NOT to use them on the back of trailers due to too much bouncing.