4th gear skipping 2001 yz426f

Has anyone else had the dog teeth fail on 4th gear? Dealer just fixed it, $560 dollars split cases etc. They tell me the cause was shifting without the clutch. I dont buy that theory, I think the gear was soft.I am an experienced rider with over 17 years of experience. My clutch use,almost always , except shifting when riding wheelies. 1996XR650L 2001YZ426F

After being a member on TTalk for over a year...I have seen numerous posts about 4th gear problems (especially on 00' models) Do a search and I'm sure you will find the info you are looking for! Later,

Garrett

00 426 lost one tooth off 4th gear. Pulled it out and split it, $140.00 for both forth gear wheels, rings and gaskets, and all was well. I noticed the "funny" noise during a dez ride going thru the bushes with no trail for about 2 hours and pulling branches that were jamming the shifter out 3 or 4 times that day. I don't remember any messed up shifts but "who knows". Guess it's a good thing that I'm a mechanic and can do the work and save $$$

Yes, there seems to be an obvious problem with 4th gears of this machine. Seems like I read an article about the supplier not performing the proper hardening process on a batch of these gears?¿